When you reach me by Rebecca Stead

When you reach me (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Stead

Member:liss2
Title:When you reach me
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Info:New York : Wendy Lamb Books, c2009.
Tags:fantasy, mystery, life, time travel

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

English (415)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (418)
A coming of age story about growing up and friendship. The book is a first person narrative with a surprise "mystery" twist at the end. With small clues throughout the story, you'll wonder how it is all going to come together. What does it mean? Who is leaving the notes? The story is simple yet packs a powerful punch that will leave you to ponder your own impact on the world. ( )
  standhenry | Aug 18, 2016 |
Cool plot connecting to Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time ( )
  TLDennis | Jul 30, 2016 |
This is an incredible book. With a subtle nod to A Wrinkle in Time, When You Reach Me follows a girl and a mysterious time-traveler in the form of an apparent homeless man. The book is set in the 70s, the $20,000 Pyramid figures into the plot. The story is set in Manhattan in the 70s. This is a well-deserved Newbery winner. I recommend this to kids all the time. Great writing.
  Brad.Coulter | Jul 22, 2016 |
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Summary
This book is about Miranda, a twelve-year-old girl, who lives in New York City in the 1970’s. The book tells of her life there and about her friendships. Miranda is always reading the book, A Wrinkle in Time. It tells of her school life and her daily walks to and from school. She daily passes a homeless man known as the laughing man on her way to her apartment. However, in the middle of the book Miranda starts to receive notes from an anonymous person. The first note she discusses with her mother The next note tells her not to tell anyone. One of her close friendships ends during the book, however, it is regained later in the book. Her close friend’s name is Sal who after getting beat up will not talk to Miranda any more. Marcus is introduced as the bully who later turns out to be a friend. Marcus and Miranda discuss time travel. During the story, Miranda and her friends, Colin and Annemarie, work at a sub shop called Jimmy’s during lunch, and then get fired when the bosses bank gets stolen. Miranda receives a third note which tells her to write a response to the letter that she will know who to give it to. One day on her way home Miranda’s friend Sal gets injured while the laughing man is killed trying to save Sal. Miranda is trying to make sense of it all. After Sal gets run over, her mother goes on the 20,000 pyramid and wins 1 game. Miranda finally figures out that the letters are written from Marcus who is actually the Laughing Man in the future. In the end, Miranda is writing her note and placing it under the mailbox for Marcus.

Reaction
This book while predominantly realism has some elements of mystery and fantasy included. The book is told in the first person point of view. Miranda tells us the story through her eyes, views, and experiences. The book uses some similes. The book also uses foreshadowing to keep readers wondering what will happen. The book is one that is hard to put down. It will be a good read for upper elementary and beginning middle school students. The book has all of the elements of a good novel. Some of the elements include internal conflict, external conflict, person versus person conflict, and person against self. The book also contains a good plot that makes readers continue to read to find out what happens. The book also has a great climax, rising, falling action, and resolution. The ending is the only part of the story that leaves readers with a few unanswered questions. The book uses language that is easy to understand. Miranda’s character is well developed. Her friends’ characters are well supported and have some changes that take place in their lives. Chapters are relatively short making it an easy read. I would love to use this book in my future classroom for older grades. The writing style is one that makes the story believable even if it was fiction. This book will keep readers interested throughout the entire story.

Extension
1. I would have students write a letter to tell the story like Miranda does in the end of the story.
2. I would have students do a book summary including details of setting, plot, characters with descriptions, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, and conflicts.
3. I would have students predict what the story is about prior to reading.
4. I would have students draw a picture of their favorite character with a letter to that character.
5. I would have students write a letter of response to Miranda’s letter.
6. I would have children answer comprehension questions.
7. I would split children into groups and have them make a map of the story’s setting including key places Miranda goes during the story. ( )
  RebekahBowers | Jul 18, 2016 |
Quick read. I liked it, even though I didn't understand it! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,369,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible