Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by…

Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping (edition 2007)

by Judith Levine

Member:omargosh
Title:Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping
Authors:Judith Levine
Info:Free Press (2007), Edition: First Paperback Edition First Printing, Paperback, 288 pages

Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine

The Art of Eating In: How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove by Cathy Erway (kristenn)
    Clean and Green: The Complete Guide to Non-Toxic and Environmentally Safe Housekeeping by Annie Berthold-Bond (solsken)
    solsken: Those interested in ecological living have to face the issue of consumerism as well. J.Levine keeps a journal of her year without shopping for anything but the basic necessities, while also doing some research on the topic.

Interesting concept, and well written. Levine offers insights into her thoughts during a year without buying anything beyond absolute necessities. She also spends a great deal of time reviewing studies of consumerism, as well as the effects of the industrialized, consumer society on the Earth. Her political rants left me cold - here's a tip, our country was focused on consuming long before the Presidency of George W. Bush. But to me the most touching part of the book was at the end, when she describes her husband Paul as "wistful" at the end of the experiment, realizing that turning their backs on so much drew them closer together as a couple.

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5748756/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 23, 2014 |
Freelance writer who wants a book deal? Think of some activity or non-activity and spend a year doing it while keeping a diary of your experience. This has been a popular subgenre of memoir in the past several years and in fact many of these books are quite good, for instance [b:The Year of Living Biblically|495395|The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible|A.J. Jacobs|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266569301s/495395.jpg|2325789] and [b:Helping Me Help Myself|1480063|Helping Me Help Myself One Skeptic, Twelve Self-Help Programs, One Whirlwind Year of Improvement|Beth Lisick|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266813957s/1480063.jpg|1471133]. I seem to be attracted to these books and I like some more than others. This was one of the others.

Levine has an interesting life which appears to have a lot of freedom built in (as well as the typical freelancer's insecurity, the other side of the coin.) She and her partner Paul spend about half the year in a Brooklyn apartment she owns, living the fast-paced life of the New York intelligentsia. The other part of the year is spent in Vermont's hardscrabble Northeast Kingdom, in Paul's modest house outside a small town where he is on the Zoning Board. As you might guess, it's a little easier for the couple to stick to their "buy only essentials" plan in Vermont than in New York.

I don't know how I would react to a similar experiment, but the whiny tone of much of the book was annoying. While in New York, Levine mentions often the pain of not getting to see the latest film or play or read the latest book immediately. I guess it's a New York thing. But then, I am someone who finally saw The Graduate, one of the Important Films of my generation, only about a year ago.

One of my problems with this type of memoir is that it's easy for the author to go off on a tangent which has little or nothing to do with the stated subject of the book. In this case, since the book takes place in 2004, it's the Presidential election. Since Levine and her partner had agreed that Internet access was a necessity for their work, it seems to me she could easily participate in the democratic process without buying anything, yet she spent at least a chapter on the campaign and election. I'd say there was a little too much about the controversy in their Vermont town about a proposed cell-phone tower (in which Paul was involved because it was a zoning matter), but at least there Levine had something to say about consumption as it relates to technology. Nevertheless I kept thinking "It's all very well for you to say the people in Vermont don't need cell phones, you're going back to New York!"

Levine did learn a few things from her experiment and derived some benefits. She learned to appreciate the public library and other free entertainment available in New York. She paid off her credit card and didn't run it up again. It's even possible she may have lost a little weight or at least lowered her cholesterol by foregoing street food and lattes for a year. It was interesting that the two occasions on which she seriously backslid involved the purchase of new clothing.

I wouldn't NOT recommend this book to someone interested in the question: who are we if we are not consumers? (I liked her point that taking up even the simplest outdoor activity seems to trigger a "need" to buy a bunch of equipment!) But I thought the book could have been better. I believe there are books or at least blogs by people who either tried to buy only American-made goods or to buy only used or recycled items, and I'd like to find those for comparison. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
I thought this account of an experiment in which the author buys nothing that is not a “necessity” — a rather loosely defined term, in this context — promised an insightful look at the rampant consumerism that marks our times. Instead, we get to ponder the absurdity of not buying anything while living in New York City, endure the author’s agonies over purchasing a $3 used shirt in a thrift store where the profits help homeless women (how less consumerist can you get?), and wonder why organic coffee is a necessity but dining out with friends is not. This book did make me think about commerce in general, about how using your dollars to support the things you value — such as local businesses, good books and independent music — is wiser than not buying anything at all, because that way, we all get to make a living. Besides, it was pretty obvious that Levine only wrote this book so she could have her entry in the nonfiction “here’s the crazy thing I tried for a while and what I learned from it” genre that was started by that woman who worked for minimum wage, and I have to kick myself for being such a sucker as to have actually bought this book.

Read in 2006 ( )
  sturlington | Feb 24, 2012 |
I, too, spent a year living on next to nothing - and I found this book a really good accompaniment: like Judith Levine, I found myself reflecting much more deeply about questions of economics and globalisation; and I was especially reassured to find that, like me, she went through phases of real apathy and irascibility. And I like the way she writes frankly but without too much of a sense of self-worthiness. As a result the book raises some important issues which we might all do well to consider more fully - but it does not rant, and it never loses its sense of the humane and the entertaining. ( )
  readawayjay | Feb 12, 2011 |
Savings was not the goal of the project, but, admittedly, I was disappointed by the bottom line.

Levine offers banal solutions in search of a problem, while leaving the real problems for others to investigate.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Ann Marlow (Mar 13, 2006)

But otherwise, this honest and humorous tale of a nonspending year is well worth putting aside a few hours to read.

Best of all, while she makes you want to repent for your greed more than a few times, she also points out the absurdities of ''voluntary simplicity'' and recognizes the soul-stirring happiness implicit in finding a perfect new pair of heels, making Not Buying It well worth its price.

To Paul Cillo, partner in parsimony

and to Ellen Willis (1942-2006)
The idea occurs to me, as so many desperate resolutions do, during the holiday season.
May 25

I have visited four other libraries in Brooklyn and Manhattan looking for the fabric-craft books. All are AWOL: Away Without Loan. "It's tough to keep that kind of book on the shelf," one librarian tells me. "They're expensive, people want to own them, and we can't afford to keep replacing them."

"Don't people get it that the public library is for the public?" I ask her, singing a hymn to the choir. She looks up at me with gentle eyes, as if she has just broken it to a child that people can be mean.

I shake my head and walk away, unable to decide which distresses me more: the rape and pillage of the commons or the idea that a person who makes silk flowers would steal a book from the library.

Shocked by the commerce in everything from pet cloning to patriotism, frightened by the downward spiral of her finances and that of the trash-strewn earth, Judith Levine enlists her partner, Paul, in a radical experiment: to forgo all but the most necessary purchases for an entire year.

Without consumer goods and experiences, Judith and Paul pursue their careers, nurture relationships, and try to keep their sanity, their identities, and their sense of humor intact. Tracking their progress -- and inevitable lapses -- Levine contemplates need and desire, scarcity and security, consumerism and citizenship. She asks the Big Questions: Can the economy survive without shopping? Are Q-tips necessary?

Not Buying It is the confession of a woman any reader can identify with: someone who can't live without French roast coffee or SmartWool socks but who has had it up to here with overconsumption and its effects on the earth and everyone who dwells there.

For the humor and intelligence of its insights, the refreshment of its skepticism, and the surprises of its conclusions, Not Buying It is sure to be on anyone's list of Necessities.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:54 -0400)

A journalist traces a year during which she and her partner struggled to stop consumer spending practices in spite of their American conditioning, an effort that had an impact on their careers, family relationships, and personal identities.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,472,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible