Give Take by Stona Fitch

Give Take

by Stona Fitch

I had high hopes for this book; on the cover is a ringing endorsement by the great novelist Richard Price. However, the author failed to convince me that the lead character--a traveling jazz pianist who plays at expense account hotels while maintaining a sideline business as a luxury car and jewel thief--was anything but every man's fantasy. (He also gets to seduce lots of beautiful women in order to relieve them of their jewels.)

I like fantasy as much as the next guy but a plot that actually moves will keep me reading. Also, it helps if the characters, particularly the main one, was not cut out of James Bond's cardboard box. ( )
  chorn369 | Jan 14, 2011 |
Not my usual genre, but I really enjoyed it. It's a fast read, has good character development, and makes you root for the thief. ( )
  LynnSigman | Dec 8, 2010 |
Most of the book is really about character development. The characters’ relationships arc across chapters. The plot really does not. Lots of little self-contained episodes, of thieving, or of traveling, or playing music. So there’s no big mystery plot to follow. We get a little of Ross by himself, Ross and Clay, then Ross and Marianne, and finally a big noir-ish mystery ending, complete with menacing mafia-like characters.

(Full review at my blog) ( )
  KingRat | Dec 7, 2008 |
"Wrong is right." - Thelonious Monk
For Ann
J.A.T.H.
I press my fingers on the warm keys of the grand piano and hear the thrum of huddled couples and clusters of bankers anxious to be entertained.

"Disillusioned with money and disappointed in love, jazz pianist Ross Clifton finds an unexpected cure. He puts his deft fingers to use after hours, stealing millions in diamonds and BMWs, then giving it all away. But when his teenaged nephew, Cray, joins him on the road, his life as a gifted grifter skids to a halt. And Marianne, a luminous singer with a secret life of her own, lures him into new, dangerous territory."--from flap copy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,368,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible