Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
998228,575 (3.79)1 / 25

This story is filled with cliches and improbable situations (yes, even for vampire fiction), the characters are highly uncreative (pretty much flat) and everything is rendered highly predictable by the author's choice in view-point characters (no, he's not going to kill her, actually he fell madly in lust with her at first glance!). ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
High school senior Jessica Allodola, the author of a best-selling vampire thriller published under the pseudonym Ash Night, is shocked when Aubrey, one of the main characters from her book, shows up in the real world. As she struggles to assimilate the knowledge that the vampiric world which she thought a product of her imagination is in fact a reality, Jessica must also contend with the seductive Aubrey, the malicious Fala, and a do-gooding teenage witch determined to save her from the dark...

This second novel from Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, distinguished for writing her first novel at thirteen and seeing it published at fifteen, has a strong autobiographical flavor to it. Its disaffected gothic heroine will appeal to adolescent rebels, particularly those who enjoy romantic vampire stories. I found it a very creditable second effort, though I think I prefer the work of L.J. Smith, when it comes to books in this genre. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Jul 5, 2013 |
The first book was good, but this one was a lot better. Enjoyed the plot and the author's writing style, (still needs work but getting better). Only wish that Jessica's transformation had been more descriptive and that there had been more of an ending; which was quite abrupt considering the novels already stinted length. Hope for more in the upcoming novel. ( )
  Allizabeth | Jul 17, 2011 |
1Q, 4P
  jwrosenzweig | May 19, 2011 |
Demon in My View gives the classic feel of vampires: dark, dangerous, predatory. Yet, it gives the reader a view of their pasts, as humans.

A breeze to read, the ending was satisfying and sensible. ( )
1 vote yourresidentvillain | Aug 27, 2010 |
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were- I have not seen
As others saw- I could not bring
My passions from a common spring-
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow- I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone-
And all I lov'd- I lov'd alone-
Then- in my childhood- in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still-
From the torrent, or the fountain-
From the red cliff of the mountain-
From the sun that round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold-
From the lightning of the sky
As it pass'd me flying by-
From the thunder, and the storm-
And the cloud that took the form
(Whan the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view-

Edgar Allan Poe
Dedicated to Jessica Guenther, who is a pillar of strength in rough times, an inspiration, and one of Aubrey's greatest admirers.
The night is full of mystery.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440228840, Mass Market Paperback)

The teen queen of horror fiction Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is on the prowl again! Continuing in much the same vampire vein that established her reputation, the young writer's sophomore novel also includes a touch of autobiography. Jessica Allodola is a high school senior who pens vampire tales under the pseudonym Ash Night. (Hmmm, sound familiar?) Because of her funereal clothing and cynical demeanor, Jessica is shunned by her sunnier classmates. No matter, she prefers the company of the undead she creates on her laptop, anyway. But Jessica is shaken when a creature from her novel, the suave vampire Aubrey (who fans will remember from In the Forests of the Night) shows up as a new student at her school. Not knowing whether he plans to seduce or harm her, Jessica plays a dangerous game of cat and mouse with Aubrey as she tries to discover the secret of his existence. As she delves deeper into the midnight world of her own novels, she encounters other supernatural beings, like Fala, an evil Egyptian vampire, and Caryn Smoke, a teenaged good witch. When she finally unearths the shocking truth that explains the tangibility of her imaginary world, Jessica must decide if she loves that dark world enough to leave the light forever.

Atwater-Rhode's writing, while still showing strong traces of Anne Rice and Stephen King, is maturing nicely as she cleverly constructs this story within a story. Her vampires, while thousands of years old, have adolescent mood swings and tempers, which will sit well with the under-16 crowd. Demon in My View will undoubtedly find its way into many backpacks and Trapper Keepers. (Ages 12 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:23 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Jessica Allodola discovers that the vampire world of her fiction is real when she develops relationships with an alluring vampire named Aubrey and the teenage witch who is trying to save Jessica from his clutches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible