Hawksong : The Kiesha'ra: Volume One…

Hawksong : The Kiesha'ra: Volume One (Kiesha'ra) (edition 2003)

by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

973None8,813 (4.12)43
Member:Allizabeth
Title:Hawksong : The Kiesha'ra: Volume One (Kiesha'ra)
Authors:Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2003), Hardcover
Rating:*****

Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books have to do with shapeshifters facing problems in their society. Great books!
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (LucyClements)

The Good: Hawksong does a fine job of taking something serious like stereotypes and prejudice and turning it into something easily digestible without being preachy. Moreover, Danica's fears and misconceptions of Zane and his people are understandable and even acceptable given the pretext of the book itself.

The Bad: You have to really be into shapeshifter stories to enjoy this series. Not lycanthropic stories, but true animal shifting stories, based on the biology of the animals in question. I'm just not, at least not based on snakes and birds. The romance was lacking in Hawksong, which severely impacted the believability of the story in general. While it made sense that Zane and Danica could come together as a political move, nothing was every portrayed in a convincing fashion that they would even be able to have a functional, lasting, romantic relationship. ( )
  TequilaReader | Jan 2, 2014 |
I love this book so much. I love shape shifters book and this one is one of the best I read so far. The story between Zane and Danica is so sweet and beautiful. ( )
  Melody05 | Oct 22, 2013 |
This book had so much potential! To be fair, it lived up to most of it, but the author seemed to refrain from delving too deeply into the characters. We still get a feel for them, they're anything but two-dimensional, but there's always the sense that there could have been more to it.

The plot is delightful and enthralling. A political marriage between warring factions is an instant read for me.

For the most part, it's well written. And yet... it seemed somewhat rushed at times. I understand that it's the first of a series, but we don't really get more in the next one than we did in this one. It's just as satisfying, but it left me wanting.

Recommended for anyone who's in the mood for a light, entertaining read.

Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
I rather liked this book. Hawksong is about two peoples at war: the snake people and the bird people. Both share some characteristics with their namesakes. The crown prince of the serpiente (snake people) and the crown princess of the avians (the bird people) try to make peace by getting married. Even though they encounter their share of problems, I thought this peace came about a bit too easily, but that's the only thing that's not completely positive I have to say. The characters were great, character development was good as well, and I liked the magic. Men and women are treated equally in a way that one doesn't encounter very often in fantasy, which I find a definite plus. The story is not overly active, but concentrates on the relationships and this is done quite well. Good work! ( )
1 vote zjakkelien | Jul 22, 2013 |
Hawksong is a Young Adult Fantasy focusing on Danica Shardae the next Tulithea or Queen of the Avian nation. Her kingdom is torn apart war with Serpent Nation lead by the Diente or King, Zane Cobrana. When the two nations want peace after generations of blood shed they got the Tiger Nation. There the Queen Tigress makes a proposition that can create peace or tear both lands apart.

The story is told from Danica's point of view. I will say that I enjoyed the book and seeing the coming together of two very different people and cultures. I recommend this book and I give it 5 stars for originality, action, and drama.

ElizabethdRosa | Apr 10, 2013 |
Hawksong is dedicated to my mother, Susan Atwater-Rhodes, for everything she has given me and everything I am now.
They say the first of my kind was a woman named Alasdair, a human raised by hawks.

DANICA SHARDAE IS an avian shapeshifter, and the golden hawk’s form in which she takes to the sky is as natural to her as the human one that graces her on land. The only thing more familiar to her is war: It has raged between her people and the serpiente for so long, no one can remember how the fighting began. As heir to the avian throne, she’ll do anything in her power to stop this war—even accept Zane Cobriana, the terrifying leader of her kind’s greatest enemy, as her pair bond and make the two royal families one.

Trust. It is all Zane asks of Danica—and all they ask of their people—but it may be more than she can give.

A School Library Journal Best Books of the Year

A VOYA Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror List selection

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:56 -0400)

In a land that has been at war so long that no one remembers the reason for fighting, the shapeshifters who rule the two factions agree to marry in the hope of bringing peace, despite deep-seated fear and distrust of each other.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible