Midnight Predator by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Best novel in this series, hands down. Great character developments, awesome plot, and a good base of descriptiveness. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes has seriously grown as a writer since the debut of her first novel. Bravo. Can't wait for more! ( )
  Allizabeth | Jul 17, 2011 |
*spoiler alert* *spoiler alert* *spoiler alert*

A couple things made me crazy about this book.

Firstly, the characters are irresistibly intriguing, especially Jaguar and Ravyn. Jaguar being the dark, mysterious, yet warm character all teenage girls go crazy for, and Ravyn being the logical, tough chick who can kick a%* for work, self-defense, or for no reason at all.

The concept of a vampire hunter under a covert mission just clicks. Turquoise and Ravyn infiltrating a slave house, as slaves with awesome combat skills, is amusing to imagine.

And then, the gentle slavedriver who falls in love with his slave is almost funny. It might be a cliché, now that I think about it, but it's still touching. Did I mention that the head slavedriver is a shapeshifting jaguar?

This, in my opinion, is the best book of the series. ( )
  yourresidentvillain | Aug 29, 2010 |
Midnight Predator should have and could have been better. The idea was interesting and the writing was simple yet engaging. Turquoise is a assassin hired to kill a very bad vampire. In order to gain access to her, she has to return to Midnight, a place where vampires live with their human pets, which she once was.

My main issue with this book seems frivolous. The character names border on ridiculous. Turquoise, Jeshikah, Ravyn, Jaguar. Reading these names is distracting. In my head, Jeshikah sounds like Jessica, with a lisp. The evilest vampire to ever have lived shouldn't have a name that makes me think of speech impediments. This is a glaring issue that prevents me from staying engrossed in the plot and action.

At this point in her writing career, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes was a teenager. While her stories are entertaining and her writing is decent, the fact of the matter is that she was writing like a teenager. Had these books been written by an adult, they wouldn't have been published. I don't dislike these books, but everything about them is average at best. ( )
  TequilaReader | May 22, 2010 |
It's been awhile since I read this, but I remember enjoying it, though being a bit shocked at how very sexy it was for a teen book... (Though I expect my sensibilities have changed over my years of reading teen fiction!) ( )
  kayceel | Apr 19, 2010 |
I enjoyed this book. it was an easy read. It pulled me in fast and kept me there. I liked having the background memories in Turquoise's mind coming up, it makes her more real. The suspense thought the book after she gets to Midnight between her and Jaguar is great you never know if they are falling in love or just respect each other company. ( )
  dbhutch | Feb 17, 2010 |
Some people use things; they destroy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237971, Mass Market Paperback)

Midnight, the ancient evil sanctuary of vampires and their human slaves that was burned to the ground centuries ago, has risen from the ashes to open its dark doors once more. And it's up to Turquoise Draka, famed human vampire hunter of the Bruja guild, to stop Midnight's founder and vampire most malevolent, Jeshikah. But once inside Midnight's walls, Turquoise discovers that instead of Jeshikah, the surprisingly benign vampire Jaguar is at the helm. Acting as a human slave, Turquoise tries to discern Jaguar's mysteriously kind motives as she works at planning Jeshikah's assassination. Meanwhile, her acting servitude is playing havoc with her memories, as she begins to recall the bleak days when she used to be a human slave herself, the time before her training as an elite Bruja warrior. With bitter memories of beatings and humiliations battling with her present suicidal assignment, Turquoise must do everything in her power to keep from blowing her cover and losing her sanity.

Teenaged horror author Amelia Atwater-Rhodes has successfully hit her writing stride in Midnight Predator, her fourth novel. Finally her burgundy-haired, black leather pant-wearing, revenge-lusting characters (and those are just the humans!) seem less like Anne Rice rip-offs and more like original Atwater-Rhodes creations. Atwater-Rhodes's use of flashbacks is more polished than in previous works, and her characterization is more solid and consistent. Teen vampire fans will eagerly fall upon this vibrant, violent addition to Atwater-Rhodes's intricately woven dynasty of vampires, witches, and shape-shifters. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:48 -0400)

Turquoise Draka, a mercenary trained to fight vampires, witches, and shape-shifters, infiltrates a vampire stronghold, but ghosts from her past and new possibilities for her future threaten to distract her from the work at hand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,390,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible