Hayate X Blade Vol 1 by Shizuru Hayashiya

Hayate X Blade Vol 1

by Shizuru Hayashiya

R.O.D: Read or Dream, Vol. 1: Three Sisters--One Power by Hideyuki Kurata (senbei)
    senbei: The second installment in Hayashiya Shizuru's fun and engrossing not-yuri-but-should-have-been/could-easily-be-taken-to-be-yuri manga. Unlike Sister Red or Strawberry Shake Sweet, HxB is actually very funny. I was immediately hooked. The story: our heroine is one of a pair of twins from orphanage who enters a private elite girl's school to raise money for the orphanage. The student body at this school are encouraged to fight each with bouken in order to determine.... (okay yeah, i seriously have no idea, fill in the blank). Oh and, did I mention it's pseudo-yuri? Oh the angst. It is a thing of beauty. Characters: Brilliant, if a little trying at times. The antagonists are a little two-dimensional but Hayashiya-sensei manages to their respective arcs with them all learning something. My favorite character? Nagi. She is 100% absent but still manages to be a character in the story. Art: a joy to read. There is always the detractor of its size (smaller than standard but still quite readable), and desaturated pages, but those would really only be icing on the cake. I'm just happy it hasn't been dropped yet, an unfortunate conclusion to most Seven Seas purchases. This project was a joint Tor/Seven Seas so we're hopeful it'll be continued for a while. Translation: I own volumes 3-6 in Japanese and I must say the translation works well in most cases. As it's billed as a comedy there are some culturally specific jokes that Adrienne Beck has done an adequate job of reworking into English and made notes in the appropriate (but thankfully few).… (more)

I guess it just shows that I shouldn't judge a book based on its cover.

When I first noticed this book "Hayate X (Cross) Blade, Vol. 1", my initial impressions was that this was going to be the typical shonen 'teen powerup' series, that we've seen before ad nauseum (Bleach, Naruto, Bayblade, etc). Consider me surprised to find this to be one entertaining but highly hilarious series. Although the premise is somewhat generic (school wide competition for the best fighter), it's the characters themselves make this such a fun read with our main character Hayate, being such a happy-go-lucky ditz. I'd say this is series worth giving a try. ( )
  timothyl33 | Feb 19, 2011 |
Despite slick art by Shizuru Hayashiya, Hayate x Blade somehow manages to drain all excitement from both lesbians and swordfighting—like some kind of antimatter Revolutionary Girl Utena.

The all-girls boarding school Tenchi Academy isn’t just known for its quality academics—it’s also known for training the top sword fighters in the country. Students in the special “Sword Bearer” program compete in a school-wide battle known as the Star Stealing, striving to win both money and fame.

Enter Kurogane Hayate. While her sister, Nagi, recovers from a lingering injury, the spunky and cheerful Hayate offers to take her sister’s place at the Academy until she is well enough to return. When Hayate learns of the mountain of debt her old orphanage, the Dandelion Garden, owes to Yakuza loan sharks, she decides to become a Sword Bearer and win the Star Stealing.

There’s just one problem . . . she needs a partner to compete—and the one girl Hayate has her eye on wants nothing to do with her!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:03 -0400)

The all-girls boarding school Tenchi Academy isn't just known for its quality academics; it's also known for training the top sword fighters in the country. Students in the special 'Sword Bearer' program compete in a school-wide battle known as the Star Stealing, striving to win both money and fame. Enter Kurogane Hayate.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,608,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible