The Book of Love by Kathleen McGowan

The Book of Love

by Kathleen McGowan

Other authors: Roberta Maresca (Translator)

Series: The Magdalene Line (2)

English (9)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (11)
This sequel to THE EXPECTED ONE this book again follows Maureen Paschal on her quest to uncover the truth behind the Magdalene line following the crucifixion of Christ. I usually enjoy books with this type of story line, but in this case I found the writing to be excessively repetitive and unoriginal. Ms. McGowan seemed to be trying to fill pages and not only repeated herself excessively but gave the reader pages and pages (and pages and pages) of rehashed myths and stories from history. One version was not enough, so she then went on to retell the same myth again in another form. I managed to finish the book, but by the end I didn’t really have any interest in what was happening. I understand there is a third book (THE POET PRINCE) in the Magdalene series coming out in July this year. I, personally, am not going to bother. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This one was not as compelling as the first in the series. I really enjoyed the switching back & forth between Matilda & Maureen, but there were times when I thought the plot became too confusing to follow. I was also more disappointed in the contents of red book, I guess because it was not as much of a revelation as the contents of the scrolls in the previous book, THE EXPECTED ONE. Still, it was entertaining enough to keep my interest and now I am anxious to read the third book, THE POET PRINCE. ( )
  SusanBNM | Nov 23, 2014 |
Either the first book of this series was waaaaaaaaay better, or I was smoking crack when I read it. This book was painful to read. It's written in a weird mixture of 1st & 3rd person, sometimes like a textbook and sometimes like a novel. It's preachy, poorly written and obvious. Do NOT waste your time with this drivel! ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
Not nearly as good as the first book. ( )
  SenoraG163 | Sep 10, 2011 |
I was so enraptured with the prequel of this book, The Expected One, that I couldn't wait till The Book of Love comes out. Unfortunately, this is such a big disappointment! Ms. McGowan seems uncertain whether she wanted to write about historical fiction or history. The book is loaded with explanation to the point of a school textbook.

The last of the trilogy is already out --supposedly about the Poet Prince, and I'll probably buy it just because I want to finish the whole, hoping it will be better than the second, if not as good as the first. ( )
  Fels | Oct 12, 2010 |

Kathleen McGowanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roberta MarescaTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Fresh from her successful hunt for the long-hidden scrolls written by Mary Magdalene, journalist Maureen Paschal receives a strange package in the mail – containing what looks to be an ancient document written in Latin and signed in code. Maureen discovers that the document was written by an extraordinary woman who history has overlooked – or covered up, Matilda of Tuscany, and it demands the return of Matilda’s “most precious books and documents”. As the discoverer of Mary Magdalene’s gospel, Maureen immediately recognizes a new search has begun. Soon, she finds herself in a race across Italy and France, where new dangers await her and her lover Sinclair as they begin to uncover secrets and shine new light on the hidden corners of Christianity.

As Maureen learns more about Matilda, a warrior countess who was secretly married to a Pope who joined her, not only in bed, but also in using the Last Gospel of Jesus to form a radical new kind of church, she begins to see the eerie connections between herself and Matilda, connections she must unravel quickly if she is to stop the wrong people from finding The Book of Love and hiding it forever.

Combining expert research with Dazzling plot twists, The Book of Love is sure to thrill readers as they follow Maureen’s search for clues through the world’s greatest art, architecture, and history, until a potentially fatal encounter reveals The Book of Love to her – and to us.

Maureen learns about Matilda, an eleventh-century warrior countess who was secretly married to a pope, and begins to see the eerie connections between herself and Matilda-- connections she must trace to their source if she is to stop the wrong people from finding the Book of Love and hiding it forever.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,627,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible