100 People Who Changed America by Russell…

100 People Who Changed America

by Russell Freedman

380428,382 (4)None

I love this small book. It's perfect for elementary aged children, in that it provides nuggets of information in a very palatable form. The information is divided into sections about "Business and Law", "Inventors and Innovators", "Leaders and Social Change" , "Music and Arts", "New Frontiers", and "Sports". Each person is given half a page which contains a picture of the individual, birth and death dates, a single paragraph about what they're known for, and then "fast facts".

For example, for Meriwether Lewis it says:

"With his lifelong interests in botany and zoology and his military service, he was chosen by President Thomas Jefferson to lead an expedition across the new country documenting its plants and animals. After his three-year trip with partner William Clark, he became the new governor of the Louisiana Territory."

The FAST FACTS are:

"Thomas Jefferson thought Lewis and Clark might find erupting volcanoes, mountains of sale, and wooly mammoths out west

"Members of the exploring team ate approximately 6 pounds of meat each day -- the equivalent of 24 hamburgers!"

Now if you have older kids, you KNOW that those "Fast Facts" are just the sort of interesting information that they love. Trivia on steroids! And, in fact, I have found that if I leave this book in the car or around the coffee table that the kids will pick it up and read about a few people without urging.

THE SKINNY:::
I think this book is great. It's published on cheap off-color paper but I don't care because it's kid-friendly and a fun way for them to get introduced to a variety of historical figures -- everyone from Charles Lindbergh to Langston Hughes, Steve Jobs to Robert Oppenheimer.

Being short is a huge advantage to time-challenged kids, but it has a downside in that parents might have to fill in the gaps. (If you don't know, there's always Google and Wikipedia.)

My kids -- currently 8 and 10-- will read a section when in the car. It gives us a chance to learn from each other and chat while we drive.

Pam T~
mom and blogger ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jul 22, 2010 |
This book is a biography, because it includes many accounts of famous people's lives. To be used in a late primary or intermediate classroom ( )
  bekahhynes | Sep 14, 2009 |
cool ( )
  Smiley91123 | Jan 25, 2009 |
This collection of short biographies features photographs, lists of accomplishments, and fast facts about 100 people who changed our country. Also includes an introduction by Russell Freedman, Newbery-winning author of "Lincoln: A Photobiography", biography writing tips and a biography pop quiz.
  mrae24 | May 14, 2006 |

Product Details Paperback: 64 pages Publisher: Scholastic; No edition stated edition (2004) Language: English

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible