The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by…

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

by Jacqueline Kelly

2,3032044,159 (4.11)78
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley (foggidawn)
    The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar light-hearted quirky characters and lack of dramatic tension.
    Deadly by Julie Chibbaro (kaledrina)
    The Danger Box by Blue Balliett (keeneam)
    keeneam: Also deals with Darwin at the present time rather than the past.
    Mary Mae and the Gospel Truth by Sandra Dutton (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Calpurnia is a little more of a difficult read than Mary Mae, but both girls deal with similar issues.
    Roller Skates by Ruth Sawyer (kaledrina)

English (195)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  All languages (204)
Filled with explorations of all types, nature, nurturing, family, historical and love. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Jun 2, 2019 |
It's 1889 and Callie gets to know her cantankerous old grandad, finding in him a shared love of naturalism, but becoming a scientist isn't what her parents have planned for this turn of the century young lady. ( )
  AccyP | Feb 24, 2019 |
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is about an eleven year old girl inspiring to be a scientist. I feel this book can loose the interest of some students because of the era is written but I love how it showed Callie Vee being motivated to learn all that she can learn about the things she loved. I also like how her grandfather took her under his wings to help expand her knowledge in nature and science. ( )
  slumar | Sep 11, 2018 |
The Evolution of Calpernia Tate isn’t the style of books that I am typically accustomed to reading. Initially, i struggled to gain interest in the book due to its non-fiction based, scientifically centered recurring theme. However, after reading the book in its entirety, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Surprisingly, I was able to identify with Calpernia to some extent, as I imagine most girls Calpernia’s age do as well. The struggle between expectations and fulfilling gender roles back then was just as current as the expectations little girls have now. Calpernia was such a brave little girl ahead of her own time, embracing her differences while the world was on the brink of change. ( )
  Apelrean | Sep 11, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the descriptive language. It was quite beautiful, and probably my favorite thing about this book. On every page, there were words that sparked my imagination. I could easily visualize everything, as I read. I was actually amazed at the quality of the writing. I also really like the character development. Callie Vee was completely going against the grain. She was the middle child, and the only girl. Her family was wealthy, and owned the cotton gin. It was 1900, so of course she was expected to learn to cook, sew, and such. Her best friend, Lula, fit this mold. However, Callie Vee was happier out exploring with her butterfly net. She was very close Harry, the oldest of her six brothers. She also developed a strong bond with granddaddy, although others thought he was a bit strange and unappealing. Callie Vee had an inquiring mind. She always had her little book handy, to jot down notes and record her observations. She had a true passion for Science, and wondered if her parents would ever allow her to go to college one day, and pursue her dreams. I could not relate to her, but still did not put the book down once I opened it. I found myself seriously rooting for Callie Vee. I watched her grow and learn all of the proper terminology, and techniques, she needed to do her work . I loved how she craved information, and was eager to read. I was happy for her, many times throughout the story. I purchased this book, and would absolutely recommend it to any and all! ( )
  denisebarry | Sep 10, 2018 |
In her debut novel, Jacqueline Kelly brings to vivid life a boisterous small-town family at the dawn of a new century. Readers will want to crank up the A.C. before cracking the cover, though. That first chapter packs a lot of summer heat.

Phyllis Kennemer, Ph.D. (Children's Literature)
Calpurnia is an active, inquisitive eleven-year-old girl, living in a small Texas town in 1899. She takes no interest in cooking or sewing and is, in fact, inept in all household duties. Calpurnia is the only girl in a family of seven children, so her mother keeps trying to domesticate her, but Calpurnia consistently resists. She has developed a special relationship with her eccentric grandfather, a scientist and naturalist. They explore the nearby river and woods and are excited about the possibility of having discovered a new plant. Granddaddy loans her his copy of Darwin’s The Origin of Species, and a quotation from the book appears at the beginning of each chapter. Calpurnia reads this book and others, records her findings and questions in a journal, and aspires to become a scientist. Other than her grandfather, her family does not support her in this quest. Her future is left uncertain, but readers will be rooting for her to achieve her goal. This book presents an engaging piece of historical-fiction depicting the roles and expectations for women at the turn of the twentieth century. 2009, Henry Holt and Company/Macmillan, $16.99. Ages 9 to 12.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Phyllis Kennemer

When a young naturalist commences the study of a group of organisms quite unknown to him, he is at first much perplexed to determine what differences to consider... for her knows nothing of the amount and kind of variation to which the group is subject...
[Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species]
The laws governing inheritance are quite unknown; no one can say why...the child often revert in certain characters to its grandfather...
[Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species]
Seedlings from the same fruit, and the young of the same litter, sometimes differ considerably from each other, though both the young and the parents...have apparently been exposed to exactly the same conditions of life...
[Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species]
We may conclude...that any change in the numerical proportions of some of the inhabitants, independently of the change of climate itself, would most seriously affect many of the others.
For my mother, Noeline Kelly

For my father, Brian Kelly

For my husband, Robert Duncan
By 1899, we had learned to tame the darkness but not the Texas heat. We arose in the dar, hours before sunrise, when there was barely a smudge of indigo along the eastern sky and the rest of the horizon was still pure pitch.
One day I would have all the books in the world, shelves and shelves of them. I would live my life in a tower of books. I would read all day long and eat peaches. And if any young knights in armor dared to come calling on their white chargers and plead with me to let down my hair, I would pelt them with peach pits until they went home.
It was too bad, but sometimes a little knowledge could ruin your whole day, or at least take some of the shine off.
'The lesson for today is this: It is better to travel with hope in one's heart than to arrive in safety. Do you understand?'
'There are so many things to learn, you see, and so little time is given us.'
"The lesson for today is this: It is better to travel with hope in one's heart than to arrive in safety....we should celebrate today's failure because it is a clear sign that our voyage of discovery is not yet over. The day the experiment succeeds is the day the experiment ends. And I inevitably find that the sadness of ending outweighs the celebration of success."

Calpurnia Virginia Tate is eleven years old in 1899 when she wonders why the yellow grasshoppers in her Texas backyard are so much bigger than the green ones.With a little help from her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist, she figures out that the green grasshoppers are easier to see against the yellow grass, so they are eaten before they can get any larger. As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.

Debut author Jacqueline Kelly deftly brings Callie and her family to life, capturing a year of growing up with unique sensitivity and a wry wit.

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is a 2010 Newbery Honor Book and the winner of the 2010 Bank Street - Josette Frank Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

In central Texas in 1899, eleven-year-old Callie Vee Tate is instructed to be a lady by her mother, learns about love from the older three of her six brothers, and studies the natural world with her grandfather, the latter of which leads to an important discovery.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,560,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible