Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, Book 1) by…

Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Lois Mcmaster Bujold

Member:EricZawadzki
Title:Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, Book 1)
Authors:Lois Mcmaster Bujold
Info:Harper Voyager (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

The Sharing Knife: Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, BookFrivolity, bemidt, robnbrwn, andersocheva, bookczuk
    Archangel by Sharon Shinn (hoddybook)
    Warlord by Elizabeth Vaughan (flemmily)
    flemmily: The Sharing Knife series and the Chronicles of the Warlands series have very similarly treated romances, and both feature unusual urban women who become entrenched in non-urban cultures. The Sharing Knife has more elements of fantasy/magic and is a little more weighty, but both series are very enjoyable.… (more)

I picked up a copy of this at the used book store-- it sounded good enough that I actually grabbed the sequel, too, and now, after shutting the book after the final page, I'm exceedingly glad I did. It's nice to find an author who creates an interesting world and magic system, with some really likable characters and a good plot line, and know that there are more books of the author's out there. Happy reading ahead! (Of course, on the second day of reading, I accidentally left the book behind when I was having some tests done, and only realized it when I was halfway home. I'd been at the hospital a long time, was late for my next activity, was walking, and it was raining. I didn't go back, but when I got home, requested a copy from the library and picked it up the next day to resume reading. Win, again!) ( )
  bookczuk | Mar 28, 2016 |
Bujold is a talented storyteller, but this book didn’t really grab me. It’s an exciting love story with lots of fight scenes, but I didn’t really like the main characters and the plot itself felt worn. A quick, enjoyable read, but nothing I’ll remember. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I found this book to be delightful (and I'm not a regular user of that adjective). I loved the setting, the characters, the romance, the bad guys...and it's freaking hilarious! Yay for well-written fantasy! The action is all in the beginning, and the rest of the book covers the romance developing between the two main characters. It's very much a "first installment" - there is obviously much to come. Can't wait to get my hands on the next one. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Although fantasy is not usually my cup of tea, I have always liked Bujold's science fiction so I thought I would give it a try. This is the first book in a series and I liked it well enough to want to find out what happens in subsequent books.

Fawn is a young woman who became pregnant after her first sexual encounter. When she told the father he called her a slut and threatened to have his friends say she had also slept with them. Rather than tell her family she was pregnant she left home hoping to get to a remote settlement where she could work and have her child. On the road she was abducted by henchmen of a supernatural being that kills everything it touches. She was saved by Dag who is a lake walker, a tribe of people with special skills who try to save the world from these supernatural beings. Dag leaves Fawn at an abandoned farmhouse and continues on his search for the being. Fawn is taken in the night by more of the henchmen and she and Dag end up at the lair of the being at the same time. Fawn manages to kill the being with Dag's knife and they are thus bound together. Dag wants to take Fawn to his tribe's home to have one of the wise men hear the story and examine his knife. Although Fawn is a farmer and Dag is a lake walker and twenty years older than Fawn the two fall in love. Their story will continue. ( )
  gypsysmom | Sep 22, 2015 |
I picked this book up through my library's electronic loan system. As I read, I had the nagging feeling that I'd read it before, but I didn't remember it in enough detail to carry on with the series.

Anyway, it's a good story, and I think this time I'll move on to Book 2. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fawn came to the well-house a little before noon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061139076, Mass Market Paperback)

An epic fantasy of devotion, destiny, and perilous magic, from one of the most honored writers in the field— multiple Hugo Award-winning author Lois McMaster Bujold

Troubled young Fawn Bluefield seeks a life beyond her family’s farm. But on the way to the city, she encounters a patrol of Lakewalkers, nomadic soldier-sorcerers from the northern woodlands. Feared necromancers armed with mysterious knives made of human bone, they wage a secret on-going war against the scourge of the “malices,” immortal entities that draw the life out of their victims, enslaving human and animal alike. It is Dag—a Lakewalker patroller weighed down by past sorrows and present responsibilities—who must come to Fawn’s aid when she is taken captive by a malice. They prevail at a devastating cost—unexpectedly binding their fates together as they embark upon a remarkable journey into danger and delight, prejudice and partnership . . . and perhaps even love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

"Young Fawn Bluefield has fled her family's farm hoping to find work in the city of Glassforge. Uncertain about her future and the troubles she carries, Fawn stops for a drink of water at a roadside inn, where she encounters a patrol of Lakewalkers, enigmatic soldier-sorcerers from the woodland culture to the north. Fawn knows the stories about the Lake-walkers: they are necromancers; they practice black sorcery; they have no permanent homes and own only the clothes they wear and the weapons - mysterious knives made of human bone - they carry. What she does not know is that the Lakewalkers, as a whole, are engaged in a perilous campaign against inhuman and immortal magical entities known as "malices, " creatures that suck the life out of all they encounter, and turn men and animals into their minions." "Dag is an older Lakewalker patroller who carries his past sorrows as heavily as his present responsibilities. When Fawn is kidnapped by the malice Dag's patrol is tracking, Dag races to rescue her. But in the ensuing struggle, it is not Dag but Fawn who kills the creature - at dire cost - and an uncanny accident befalls Dag's sharing knife, which unexpectedly binds their two fates together. And so now the misenchanted knife must be returned to the Lakewalkers. Together, Fawn and Dag set out on the long road back to his camp. But on the journey this unlikely pair will encounter danger and delight, prejudice and partnership, and maybe even love."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible