Alis by Naomi Rich

Alis

by Naomi Rich

Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Similar coming of age story set in an oppressive dystopian society, except Long Night Dance is the first of a fantasy series.
    Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

I liked this book very much. It is about a 15-year-old girl who lives in a very strict religious community. Their rules and beliefs are very old fashioned and harsh, but Alis tolerates it because she believes that it is the will of the Maker, that she obey these rules. She seems to be one of the few in the community that questions the authority of the Elders, even though one of them is her mother. When she is arranged to marry a 40 year old man in the community, she believes the only way out is to escape to the city, where the only way to survive is to become a thief. It's a great story about becoming your own person, and questioning absolute authority. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
Different from anything I've ever read. The book jacket says it is set in an unspecified past; that statement could not be more accurate. Very strange, but very likeable. ( )
  RhondasReading | Jun 2, 2016 |
A beautifully-written, memorable book about faith, rebellion, family (however it's defined), and what it means to grow-up. While reading, I was totally absorbed in the rich, believable world (reminiscent of Carol Lynch Williams' The Chosen One and the dystopian setting in Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth). I especially loved the way Rich dealt with her characters' fundamentalist beliefs, never insulting their intelligence, but questioning everything and not providing any simple answers. In the end, strength was found not in renouncing God, but in trusting God and the power of love. ( )
  annemlanderson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Alis's journey was interesting, I wondered at how she might escape or if she'd end up forced to follow the plans of others. A lot happened in the story and it could have been fleshed out more, but still seemed paced decently. The villain was a jerk you really wanted to see knocked down a peg or two. My only real problem with the story was the world that it took place in. At first I couldn't tell if it was a post-apocalyptic dystopia or if we were in some cult society closed away from the world (though I assumed dystopia). Even when you realize that its a dystopia the world is just not explained enough, no hints are given to what brought them to this point, why this city is so different from the villages or if we are even on earth. I thought that the story could have been a lot more interesting if the world itself were just explored a bit more. ( )
  sablelexi | Oct 23, 2011 |
Missing essential details.

I enjoyed the basic story in this book but it was tainted for me by the fact that it took place somewhere in a nondescript country amongst the people of some nondescript cult. It could have been Mormon-esque, in America, but we were never told. This made it less of an historical fition novel and considerably detracted from my interest.

The central character is Alis. She is just fourteen when she is told that she will be marrying the 40-something Minister of her community. Having been raised to believe that she will have a say in her marriage and marry for love, she is horrified. She determines to follow her brother to the great city, many miles distant from her village home.
Her first step leads her to another community where extremism is bubbling up and her eyes are opened to violence and misery. She remains here for quite a while until she is able to finally make her way to the city.
Here again she experiences a side of life that she had never dreamed of, compared to which, life as wife to the Minister doesn't seem quite so awful.

It was a good read, if a little violent for younger readers.
For me it doesn't quite make the cross-over to adult fition due to the vague nature of the details. ( )
  DubaiReader | Jul 30, 2010 |
For Eric
Alis stood nervously in the doorway.

At fourteen, Alis has never been outside her strict religious community. But when her parents arrange for her to marry a forty-year-old man, she flees desperately to the dangerous, unfamiliar city. She learns quickly that the only way to survive there is to become a thief?or worse. Facing an impossible choice between a forced marriage or life on the streets, Alis seizes control of her own fate. But the path she chooses sets off a disastrous chain of events that leave her accused of murder. Steadfastly loyal, Alis must decide: will she betray a loved one or sacrifice herself?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

Raised within the strict religious confines of the Community of the Book, Alis flees from an arranged marriage to the much older Minister of her town and her life takes a series of unexpected twists before she returns to accept her fate.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible