The Little Red Hen (A Puppet Storybook) by…

The Little Red Hen (A Puppet Storybook) (1968)

by Tadasu Izawa

171587,099 (3)None

Summary:
The little red hen and a group of other animals find a grain of wheat. She asks her friends, “Who will plant this wheat?” and they all said not me leaving the red hen to plant it. It continues with several different steps of processing the wheat until she makes a loaf of bread and along the way none of the other animals want to help her. It’s not until the bread is baked and finished that they want to help her eat the bread, in which the story ends where she doesn’t allow them to eat the bread- only her.

Personal Reaction:
I like this story because in my life, I am usually the little red hen. I have always hated group projects in school and such because I always got left with all the work and it isn’t fair that the others get to take credit in my work too. But, this particular storybook version of the story I thought was just fair. It was very plain and simple. I would say this version of this book is directed to younger kids than say 3rd or 4th grade.

Extension Ideas:
1) Discuss with the class how it is important that everyone participates in projects, or matters of everyday life. Also, discuss about why it was fair that the little red hen and her chicks got to eat the loaf of bread in the end of the book.
2) Have the students get into groups and have each group draw out a scene of the little red hen from the book. ( )
  ashleywoody | Feb 12, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible