Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott

Daughter of the Flames

by Zoe Marriott

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similar strong female protagonist, engaging fantasy world, martial arts action

This was an okay read. I liked the main protagonist but, for me, the romance was unbelievable. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 4, 2016 |
Loved this! Beautiful, intriguing world and a strong, heroic main character. Reminds me of my other favorite secondary world fantasies (Robin McKinley, Tamora Pierce, etc) ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This has been a theme for me lately and I really should learn from it: do not judge a book by its cover. And let me tell you, this book's cover is spectacular, I mean really, it's beautiful. The book itself, however... was boring.

There was nothing particularly wrong with the story. The writing dragged a bit at times, but it wasn't bad. The plot was just the same old fantasy rehash - I notice Marriott thanked [a:Diana Wynne Jones|4260|Diana Wynne Jones|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1193516584p2/4260.jpg] for writing [b:The Tough Guide to Fantasyland|47510|The Tough Guide to Fantasyland|Diana Wynne Jones|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170347648s/47510.jpg|1044747] but, really, wasn't the whole point of the guide to help you not fall into clichés when writing? Because this plot was all about clichés. Orphan girl discovers she's the last of a royal line, has a great fate to lead her people but must first learn, blah blah blah.

Now, I don't mind that storyline at all because as it is known there are 7 basic plots and every story will follow them somehow. And that's alright because the characters will pull you into the story. You'll root for them, you'll want them to succeed.
I didn't feel much of anything for Zira. I didn't dislike her, I didn't like her - in fact I didn't feel much of anything for any of the characters in the book. Not even one.
I was actually kind of hoping for some kind of tension between Zira and her ~should-be-enemy~ love interest, but he, as well as their whole romance (which can't even be called that because it all boiled down to "You saved my life, I owe you." "Hey, remember how you owed me, I'm here to collect. Btw I'm a princess." "Oh, we should get married." "Ok." - I mean, now that I think about it, it was kind of like Bruno Mars' Marry You, I know I'm just throwing shade at this point, but really, it was boring.

And the villain... I mean, he almost woke me up because his story was interesting and I really thought Marriott had struck gold and I was ready to apologise for all my yawning, but she just turned him from tragic and compelling into insane and inane. And not even an interesting crazy person... just boring. Like this book. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
I enjoyed this very much. Personally, the overall emotional effect on me would put this close to a 3-1/2 star rating. Looking at it as a somewhat light adventure would push it closer to a full 4 stars. I had no problem staying interested all the way through. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
This book was a great read, it’s one of those books that has some of everything I look for in a book. There’s a strong female lead character, a loveable male character to swoon over, a thoroughly creepy and dreadful villain, a gripping plot filled with politics and warring societies all topped off with a cast of intriguing supporting characters and a generous sprinkling of well-choreographed fight sequences. I loved the world Zoe has created for this book, it’s described so beautifully that I felt as if I was transported to it rather than being on a long train journey! ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my editor, Emil Fortune and my agent, Yasmin Standen, with the deepest gratitude.
I never knew my mother's name.

Zahira is a young woman of the conquered Rua people, their country occupied by another, very different culture the Sedorne. Zahira is an orphan and has been raised to despise and distrust the occupying population, as well as to be a devout follower of the native religion. But everything changes for Zahira when her home and foster family are destroyed and she finds out some shocking truths about her heritage and real family. Realizing that it is up to her to do something about the violence and upheaval that are tearing her country apart, she must learn to accept her Sedorne origins and try to bridge the gap between the warring cultures. But when her own people suspect her of treachery for her ideas especially after she saves the life of a Sedorne nobleman and begins to fall in love the epic task ahead of her seems insurmountable...

After learning that she is the sole heir to the Ruan throne, orphaned Zira, trained in weaponry and martial arts as a warrior priestess, must unravel the secrets of her identity, decide her people's fate, and accept her feelings for a man who should be her enemy.… (more)

Zoë Marriott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible