Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott

Trouble and Her Friends

by Melissa Scott

A LGBTQ future of the internet, care of 1994. People wire themselves up to the nets, some of them with a more intense surgery that turns nearby data packets into psychosomatic experiences.

It's a neat idea, with some well-drawn US vs. European politics concerning the internet, and some well-drawn LGBTQ community & women as outsiders to the mainstream hackers. I loved the characters and the world building -- I expect each will stay with me for years to come. The plot was a fairly standard get-to-know-you-then-have-a-big-battle + a romance, but again, handled well.

I devoured this book, but I'm definitely the target audience -- it isn't high literature. ( )
1 vote pammab | Apr 5, 2014 |
Well written, but the physical metaphor for the internet and the references to the "BBS" as the common space are dated. The gender politics are also slightly dated, but then, twenty years ago it would have been impossible to predict the rise of gayglers, and gay geeks in general. If she were writing it today, she'd probably make more of the gender fluidity of the net. ( )
  djfiander | Jul 13, 2013 |
This book was incredibly meaningful to nineteen-year-old me. ( )
  maribou | May 6, 2013 |
First off, the book is about hackers written in 1994, so its a bit dated, on the other hand, it is a well written story.

I really enjoyed the characters of Trouble and Cerise - its not often you find an author who can write about a partnership that is truly equal. The first chapter, led me to think that it will be a typical leader/follower relationship, but I was pleasantly surprised when both characters tended to take a leadership role, and each had weaknesses and strengths. The secondary characters were just that, secondary. While they had the potential to be fully fleshed out, not much time was spent on them, and in in few spots, it would have helped the story along if there was a back story. The evil character in the story wasn't much more than a caricature. The story fell apart at the end and Trouble's new job was given to her to easily.

About the internet - I think that Melissa Scott got the actual hacking part of the story right, but missed everything else. For example, Trouble has to use an unsecured landline phone from a bar. As a reader, I just want to say "Get a Cell Phone!". Trouble spends a lot of her time looking for a phone :) Other things - in a world where everybody has a Facebook page, shops online, and has multiple email accounts, Trouble's world is very limited and does not fit today's reality. The fear of the new unknown internet in 1994 is presented in this book. The author takes the story in a logical fashion, but in today's online world, it feels very dated. ( )
1 vote TheDivineOomba | Mar 28, 2010 |
Good pacing, mysterious and overall satisfying plot, with some very interesting characters. This novel beats every other book I've read in the amount of time the characters spend in cyberspace and what happens to them there. Recommended. ( )
  psybre | Feb 22, 2010 |
For LAB
Trouble was gone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812522133, Mass Market Paperback)

Less than a hundred years from now, the forces of law and order crack down on the world of the computer nets. The hip, noir adventurers who get by on wit, bravado, and drugs, and haunt the virtual worlds of the Shadows of cyberspace, are up against the encroachments of civilization. It's time to adapt or die.

India Carless, alias Trouble, got out ahead of the feds and settled down to run a small network for an artist's co-op.

Now someone has taken her name and begun to use it for criminal hacking. So Trouble returns. Once the fastest gun on the electronic frontier, she had tried to retire-but has been called out for one last fight. And it's a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:23 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible