A history of God by Karen Armstrong

A history of God (original 1993; edition 1999)

by Karen Armstrong

Title:A history of God
Authors:Karen Armstrong
Info:London : Vintage, 1999.
Collections:Religion, Your library, Non-Fiction

A History of God by Karen Armstrong (1993)

The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein (zangasta)
    zangasta: Archaeological background.

English (50)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
The earliest chapters are the best, despite inevitable simplifications. After that, gets increasingly tendentious with confident assertions of the author's own spiritual beliefs. (Spoiler alert: she is really into meditation.) As a few Goodreaders note, Armstrong is not very self-critical. But I learned quite a bit I didn't know, and I will probably return to it frequently as a reference. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
Too dense and not enough on religions of south Asia and the far-east.
However, there is a sense of a dynamic nature of all religions. In other words, the religions we have today will not be the same as what we will have an another century. ( )
1 vote billsearth | Jan 10, 2015 |
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
waw. Very thorough analysis of all monotheistic religions. ( )
  albertkep | Jan 22, 2014 |
Should be required reading. ( )
1 vote | GTTexas | Dec 31, 2013 |
As a child, I had a number of strong religious beliefs but little faith in God.
In the beginning, human beings created a God who was the First Cause of all things and Ruler of heaven and earth.
From the back:

Why does God exist? How have the three dominant monotheistic religions - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - shaped and altered  the conception of God?
How have these religions influenced each other? In this stunningly intelligent book, Karen Armstrong, one of Britain's foremost commentators on religious affairs, traces the history of how men and women have perceived and experienced God, form the time of Abraham to the present.
The epic story begins with the Jews' gradual transformation of pagan idol worship in Babylon into true monotheism - a concept previously unknown in the world. [Aside from Akenaton] Christianity and Islam both rose on the foundation of this revolutionary idea, but these religions refashioned "the One God" to suit social and political needs of their followers.
From classical philosophy and medieval mysticism to the Reformation, the Enlightenment, and the modern age of skepticism, Karen Armstrong performs the near miracle of distilling the intellectual history of monotheism into one superbly readable volume, destined to take its place as a classic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345384563, Paperback)

Armstrong, a British journalist and former nun, guides us along one of the most elusive and fascinating quests of all time--the search for God. Like all beloved historians, Armstrong entertains us with deft storytelling, astounding research, and makes us feel a greater appreciation for the present because we better understand our past. Be warned: A History of God is not a tidy linear history. Rather, we learn that the definition of God is constantly being repeated, altered, discarded, and resurrected through the ages, responding to its followers' practical concerns rather than to mystical mandates. Armstrong also shows us how Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have overlapped and influenced one another, gently challenging the secularist history of each of these religions. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:24 -0400)

Explores the ways in which the "idea" and "experience" of God evolved among monotheists--Jews, Christians and Muslims.Explores the evolution of the idea and experience of God, from Abraham to the present day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible