The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane…

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice

by Jane Austen, David M. Shapard

I get it. I completely get that Austen was a genius. Writing P&P when she was 20 years old; her intuitive, almost unearthly understanding of class and families and relationships; the way her prose was so much more direct and economical than her contemporaries; the humor, the sarcasm (Miss Bingley was snarky nearly 200 years before bloggers existed!)... all of it. I am wholly appreciative of her genius.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Can't do it. I've tried, more than once, but I just don't care if Mr. Darcy has 10,000 a year. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 29, 2016 |
Obviously I'm going to rate P&P 5 stars, but this edition is also star-worthy. This series of Austen's novels, edited and annotated by David M. Shaprd, is absolutely indispensable to Austen lovers and anyone interested in the Regency period. Shapard's thousands of notes include information on everything from furniture and clothing to social mores and literary themes.

Do NOT read this edition if you haven't read P&P before. There are spoilers, and Shapard doesn't warn about them. He gives all-cap spoiler-alerts in his "Emma," so a quick glance at an annotation can warn a new reader not to read that particular snippet; but he assumes that readers of P&P are already familiar with the story. (Actually, he doesn't assume that -- he warns readers in the introduction that he'll be ruining some surprises.) ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
"Pride is a very common failing I believe... human nature is particularly prone to it, and there are very few of us who do not cherish a feeling of self-complacency on the score of some quality or other, real or imaginary. Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us." [p36]
Ah, one of the most widely read books in history - the pressure! But since Ms. Austen's Emma is the reason I received a D in one of my English Lit exams, I've held a bit of a grudge.

There's no denying the woman can draw realistic, fallible characters and relationships worthy of study, but her writing isn't the clearest or as grammatically precise as a modern reader might like. That's why I opted for an annotated edition with her text on the left page and the notes on the right (which included pictures of certain items referred to in the text, like a particular type of carriage and portraits from that time period). Although a particular turn of phrase would occasionally tickle me and induce a smile.

Austen's romances are very clean, proper and sedate; attraction is based on wealth, social standing, strength of character (honour, generosity, etc.) and appropriate familiarity - in that order, par for the course for this time period. Where's the fiery passion of a man or woman in love? Austen also heavily relies upon misunderstandings to provide conflict - it'd be nice if she'd changed it up a bit. Propriety, etiquette and social convention are strictly adhered to by her main characters. That's a bit boring, to be honest. Only the secondary characters are allowed to be scandalously 'bad' for us to pass judgement on or to laugh at.

Elizabeth is far more likable than the dreadfully spoilt Emma. She's quick-witted and cheeky. And Darcy is a clear-cut introvert (and so am I) with a stiff upper lip who needs an intelligent equal to put a bit of fun into his life and ruffle his feathers.

P&P isn't as compelling or enjoyable as I'd hoped having read half of it last year and the rest almost a year later. So while I enjoyed the coupling and the realistic characters and relationships, I'm not as enthused about Ms. Austen's works as most.

Don't hate me.

I was spurred on to find out how many times certain words were used in the text:

297 Sister

418 Darcy
311 Bingley
194 Wickham ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Even readers who have already amassed a fair amount of Austen background knowledge will probably glean some new tidbits from this facing-page annotated edition. I, for instance, learned that Darcy was as rich your average earl, that Mr. Collins really was unusually lucky to get his “living,” and the difference between a chaise and a barouche, among other tidbits. The annotations also tend toward more interpretive comments, explaining, for instance, Jane Austen’s likely views on marriage (quite conventional and generally favorable, but definitely opposed to loveless ones). Highly recommended for any fan looking to re-read and pick up some new facts and ideas at the same time. Probably not, however, the best way to experience the text for the first time as some of the annotations give away things that happen later. ( )
  jholcomb | Feb 3, 2014 |
This almost 800 page book includes not only the text and annotations, but also a chronology of the novel, useful maps, and an extensive bibliography of further reading. It is organized with the text of the novel on the left page and the annotations on the right. These annotations include some drawings, word definitions, plot points, and literary interpretations. The word definitons can get tedious--they are intended to point out where a word has changed since the novel was written, but I found many of them to be pretty obvious. Fortunately, I was able to gloss over these without too much interruption. I did enjoy the other annotations very much--it was like reading along with someone who had great insights. They also helped me to study Austen's unique style of writing, which is something that has fascinated me since I read Mansfield Park for university.

As for P&P itself, Austen's writing--her beautiful use of language, her wit and biting social commentary, and the structure she gives the novel--is simply splendid. I noticed on this reading (with the aid of the annotations) that there is not one sentence in the novel that doesn't contribute to either a character or to the development of the story as a whole. It is an amazing achievement and it is clear to me why Pride and Prejudice appears on pretty much every list of best novels.

Recommened for: lovers of Jane Austen and this novel, students, writers studying technique. I do not recommend any novel this heavily annotated for a first time reader. It would be far too distracting and destroy the cadence of the book. ( )
1 vote Nickelini | Dec 2, 2013 |

Jane Austenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shapard, David M.main authorall editionsconfirmed
the isbn #0679405429 associated with this edition is not annotated.

This first-ever fully annotated edition of one of the most beloved novels in the world is a sheer delight for Jane Austen fans. Here is the complete text of Pride and Prejudice with more than 2,300 annotations on facing pages, including:

• Explanations of historical context

Rules of etiquette, class differences, the position of women, legal and economic realities, leisure activities, and more.

• Citations from Austen’s life, letters, and other writings

Parallels between the novel and Austen’s experience are revealed, along with writings that illuminate her beliefs and opinions.

• Definitions and clarifications

Archaic words, words still in use whose meanings have changed, and obscure passages are explained.

• Literary comments and analyses

Insightful notes highlight Austen’s artistry and point out the subtle ways she develops her characters and themes.

• Maps and illustrations

of places and objects mentioned in the novel.

• An introduction, a bibliography, and a detailed chronology of events

Of course, one can enjoy the novel without knowing the precise definition of a gentleman, or what it signifies that a character drives a coach rather than a hack chaise, or the rules governing social interaction at a ball, but readers of The Annotated Pride and Prejudice will find that these kinds of details add immeasurably to understanding and enjoying the intricate psychological interplay of Austen’s immortal characters.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

Includes the complete text of Pride and Prejudice, with thousands of annotations on facing pages, including explanations of historical context; citations from Austen's life, letters, and other writings; definitions and clarifications; literary comments and analysis; maps and illustrations; and an introductions, a bibliography, and a detailed chronology of events.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible