Sam's Quest for the Crimson Crystal by…

Sam's Quest for the Crimson Crystal

by Ben Furman

421,664,912 (3.67)None

Reviewed by Rebecca Wells for TeensReadToo.com

Eleven-year-old Sam Costas can't imagine anything worse than being stuck on her grandfather's farm while her archaeologist parents travel the world. The summer stretches out before her in an unswerving road of boredom, but unbeknownst to Sam, an adventure is about to come searching for her...

Deep in the caverns below the farm, Prince Buznor, a young Awok, is on a perilous mission. He must find Sam and bring her back to Innerworld, where she is asked to complete a special quest. According to Awok legend, she is the only Outworlder who can locate and control the Crimson Crystal, the one weapon that can defeat the enemies threatening Buznor's people.

To reach the Crimson Crystal, Sam and Buznor must travel through dangerous lands and face vicious monsters that threaten them as well as treachery from within their trusted ranks. Will Sam be able to overcome her fears and find the Crimson Crystal in time to save the Awokian world?

SAM'S QUEST FOR THE CRIMSON CRYSTAL presents a conventional fantasy story, complete with a hero and obvious villains. The plot of the tale is predictable, but Ben Furman's execution more than compensates for it. Innerworld is a fascinating land with highly inventive creatures - I especially enjoyed the catacomb dwarfs. And though Sam is the typical misfit-turned-hero found in so many escapist fantasy stories, she is unique in that she retains all of her misfit qualities as she journeys through Innerworld; at no point does she shuck off her glasses, throw away her asthma inhaler, and effect a magical transformation into a Hero.

At the end of SAM'S QUEST FOR THE CRIMSON CRYSTAL, Sam may be more confident, but she remains the same asthmatic, lovable Sam that readers will enjoy and identify with. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
First of all, thanks to Anna of Diary of an Eccentric for hosting a lovely giveaway where I won this book, and thanks to Ben Furman for sending me signed copy! I was really looking forward to reading this cute book... and I did! And I am glad that I did!

Samantha Mae Costa is one of those normal kids with glasses and asthma, and she is your super-hero! Yes, and you will love her because she was there in you and me when we were kids ;)! Sam's parents are archaeologists who are always on trips to different places and are most interested in looking for the lost City of Atlantis ,and before one of these trips, they leave Sam at her Granpa's farm. She wants this holiday not to be boring.. but to find some adventure... when she and her beloved dog Patch meet Prince "Buzz" Buznor from the Innerworld. He has been looking for Sam, for she is the only one who can find the Crimson Crystal and save the Innerworld from an attack by the Zogs of the Bottomworld who were suppressed by the Awokians [ people of the Innerworld]! Sam finding herself in this unusual world, is very nervous about her responsibilities to the whole new world :)
How Sam, Buzz and Patch find the Crimson Crystal and how the hell does Sam realize her powers ... is for you to read!
This is an interesting tale and the best part is that it is a fast paced book for our teens :) And it is fun to read book! Sam is you normal girl, and it is heartening to feel there is one in you and me too! To believe in yourself and your intuition and think of good and move forward is what makes you a hero in your own lives!
Sam understood herself! And we had he most enjoyable read!
You have teens/kids at your place?! Give them this gift this festive season :) and I am sure they will love it :)
A definite 4 on 5! ( )
  veens | Dec 25, 2008 |

Sam Mae Costas is nobodys idea of a hero. She is constantly teased about her thick glasses, her small size, and her asthma attacks are embarrassing and difficult to control. When Sam is forced to spend the summer on her grandpa's farm she thinks things can t get much worse. Deep in the caverns below the farm, Prince Buznor is a young Awok on a life-and-death mission to save his world. He has to find Sam and prove to her that only she can find and control the Crimson Crystal... the one weapon that can defeat the evil threatening his people. To reach the Crimson Crystal Sam must journey through the hostile Land of Geffen, facing hordes of catacomb dwarfs, vicious vampire bats and deadly monsters. Can Sam overcome her fears, her doubts, and find the Crimson Crystal in time to save the Awokian world?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

"When eleven-year-old Samantha "Sam" Mae Costas visits her grandpa's farm, the last person she expects to meet is Prince Buznor. The young Awok is on a mission to save his world from the war-like Zogs. Without Sam's special abilities his world is doomed."--Preface.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible