Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Amazing Peace: A Christmas Poem by Maya…

Amazing Peace: A Christmas Poem

by Maya Angelou

Beautiful illustrations filled with families and children make this poem even more wonderful as it becomes more accessible to children. The poem orchestrates the Christmas theme into a love and hope that spans many religions!
  NEYM_RE_Library | Dec 3, 2013 |
Nice poem, pretty illustrations! ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
A lovely, hopeful poem that transcends a single view of Christmas. Reminds me that peace is such a big concept...and it is both internal and external, and worth finding our way toward. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Jan 1, 2010 |
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Maya Angelou, world-renowned poet, philanthropist, and humanitarian, brings to vivid life the true meaning of Christmas. Her poems are not the simple rhyming ones of many children's books, but rather a meshing of words that go straight to the heart.

"Come and fill us and our world with your majesty.
We, the Jew and the Jainist, the Catholic and the Confucian,
Implore you to stay awhile with us
So we may learn by your shimmering light
How to look beyond complexion and see community.

It is Christmas time, a halting of hate time.

On this platform of peace, we can create a language
To translate ourselves to ourselves and to each other."

Although this is a perfect book to share with your children at Christmas, I believe it would make an excellent addition to your home library to share as a family, again and again, no matter the time of year. The message that it sends - one of love, tolerance, diversity, and peace - is one that all children can learn from, regardless of the date on the calendar. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 9, 2009 |
The illustrations are honestly what are meaningful to me about this book. The artists take great care with textures and incorporates fabric scraps into their paintings. The scenes are of a small town gathering, candlelight, peace - very evocative and beautiful. I'm not sure about the poem's religious implication that all 'tribes' 'celebrate the promise of peace' with the birth of Jesus. ( )
  allawishus | Jun 8, 2009 |

A Christmas poem, written for the lighting of the National Christmas Tree in 2005, celebrates the goodness of life, the value of peace, and the spirit of the season for those of all faiths.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible