Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge

Street Magic

by Caitlin Kittredge

Recently added bykell1732, STACYatUFI, private library, chrissybowring, KVP, siann27, Risikah, K1ckaha, jhunley, lorikitty

As a young girl of 16, the hero was like a God. He was larger than life, could do no wrong. She would have done anything for him and often did. In turn he brought her nothing but pain and heart ache. One night while attempting to summon a demon, everything went wrong and the hero died screaming and the heroine was permitted traumatized. Now, all these years later while on the case of a missing girl, the heroine is stunned to get a visit from the living hero (if one can call him that) He tells her where to find the girl before making his disgust with her known and disappearing back into the world of drugs and junkies. But when another 2 children go missing the heroine tracks him down and imprisons him in her house to detox. Though the heroine still feeling such a deep connection with the man, she's stronger now. She's bad as in her own right and she utterly refuses to accept the hero's bullshit melodrama. Together, reluctantly, they work together to defeat the spirit who's kidnapping and killing children, along the way learning to trust each other in whatever way they can. I was really torn about this novel. On one hand it's fantastically writing with an engaged plot, charismatic characters each majorly flawed in their own way. I serious could not put it down because it was such a thrill ride of a story. BUT, it's not a romance. It's a fantasy with very slight hint of romance. I was so disappointed because if the author kept the sexual tension the characters had in the first chapter I would have been over the moon in love with this book. But as such, the characters barely liked each other and by the end they had nothing more than a friendship. The heroine was defiantly in love with the hero, that much was obvious but he was such a hard man to like let alone love. The hero, I truly felt he didn't care for anything other than himself for the majority of the book. Towards the end you could tell he felt something for her and in his own way cared for her but it was so not a love affair. I can't fault the author for this because it's listed as a fantasy but I'm a romance lover so I wanted something between the characters so badly. I was in love with the heroine who is a kick ass take names woman with a soft heart. I liked the hero with his vanity, overwhelming power and the fact that you felt as the heroine did- he was invincible. But again he wasn't a very nice man. The only reason he agrees to search for the children if to regain his reputation in the magic community. I freaking loved the language of this book. It was fowl and raw and genuine. I loved the London accent and the phrasing the characters used because it was honest. I'm so torn about this book but I'll give it a 3 star and maybe the next book will have a bit more romance to it! ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Combine the mannerisms of John Constantine from Hellblazer, the looks of Spike from Buffy, and complete incompetence, and what do you get? Jack Winter, the most disappointing street mage I've read yet. Supposedly this is set in England: the only way I can tell is that Jack says "bloody hell" every page, calls women "luv," and smokes Parliaments. Otherwise, nothing really marks this as London; it could have been set in any modern city and been the exact same story.

The uninspired, generic feel of the story could still have been saved by a good plot, solid police work, or a consistent magic system. Alas, we are let down there as well. The plot stalls for long periods, during which Pete and Jack banter and say "bloody hell" as often as possible, and then every few chapters Kittredge seems to remember that stuff has to happen for this to count as a novel. Random magic users attack, mock Jack for being over the hill, threaten Pete with rape, and then get killed or stunned. (I literally lost count of how many times sorcerers try to assault Pete, including interrupting their own climactic magical ritual in order to try to rape her at knife point. So tedious and nonsensical.) Pete has supposedly been a cop for years, but she never does any police work or uses any associated skills or connections. And the magic doesn't follow any sort of system at all, not even the dreamy fairy-tale logic of McKillip or Gaiman--it just works (or doesn't work) in whatever way the plot requires it to do at that moment.

Every single character is incompetent, the plot meanders, and the two main characters are annoying. They repeatedly risk their lives (even stab themselves in the stomach!) to save each other, all based on three days and less than three months' acquaintance twelve years ago. They never manage to make incredibly obvious logical connections, or follow up on leads, being too busy yelling at each other about how important they are to each other.

Overall, mediocre, stupid, and forgettable. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This is a dark urban fantasy-
What I liked:
Our story begins with a 16yr old girl the future Pete Caldecott, Detective Inspector of the New Scotland Yard now a grown women. A nightmare that happened over twelve years ago, when Pete had trust in magic and Jack. Jack Winter, a mage was killed by a ghost that they had freed that night.
Or so she thought till he appeared to giver her a tip all strung out on heroine. Her world shatters, her heart bleeds from the pain and the joy, of seeing him alive.
Jack is a heroine addict. He is also the only one that can help save the children that are being taken. He struggles with his lies, addictions and his own ghosts/demons that follow him. He is forced to take on more darkness and push his magical lines will drive them both to the edge.
The magical mystical beings are dark, evil and twisted. The Dark London world is gritty and filled with magical beings Pete is only now opening her eyes to see. She has alway felt something, but her sanity keep her from looking further.
They work roughly together, the past dangles between them. She is tough and forces him to go cold turkey with the drugs till this case is solved. Romance ?- There is a hint at something more, between them. Then it is blown away with barely a thought. (i was screaming for something to happen) There was never given a clear feeling on their relationship. No romance here, but there is hope from me. LOL
What I did not like:
-The writing style started out strong but, at the 1/2 way point it was full of rapid cuts, often leaving me confused. It was like the story was thrown into a tornado.
-Pete the rule following detective turned into a fist fighting street girl to defend Jack.
-Her whole credibility as a Detective Investigator is unbelievable. She just disappears from her job/superiors during an active missing child case ??? Really ?
-the overuse of slang, crude slang. it just didn't fit in that much.
** Despite all of this, I liked Street Magic. It had a lot of confusing and irritating moments in the second half of the book. The characters had serious problems. The writing had some serious flaws, yes. I saw enough promise in the beginning of the book to drive me to read the next one. I have already started the next book. There was brilliant writing at work till the second 1/2 tornado hit. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I'm writting this review quite a while after reading the book -- and I confess I've been influenced by other reviews to downgrade my initial assessment. "Yeah, that's right -- that really irked me, too." For better critical assessment about why not to bother, read a few of reviews from those that rated this low. They've parsed it out well. I can say I found the psychology of the characters unconvincing and that's always a death blow. I won't be going on to the next book in the series. ( )
  borbet | Oct 21, 2014 |

I can't believe how damned weird this book is.
First I thought I was reading Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow, then to some error in my ereader I discover that it is this book half way through.
The leading lady's name is Pete. She's tormented herself for years over the death of a man who makes a huge impact on her life. Several years down the road she has a meeting with an informant.
Surprise, surprise, surprise. It's the dead guy.
More later! In the end it was a pretty good read!
Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
I really wanted to like this book. I really did like it, but I kept getting kicked out when one more thing would remind me of how this could just as easily be a novelization of a Hellblazer story, though of course it isn't.

What's disappointing about this is that Kittredge has the writing chops and imagination to spare. She shows flare and originality throughout Street Magic, except with this one character. Unfortunately, this character is a major one, and unlike borrowing from folklore or mythology, he's not up for grabs.

Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. -Charles Dickens
Michaelmas daisies bloomed around Pete Caldecott's feet the day she met Jack Winter, just as they had twelve years ago on the day he died.

Her name is Pete Caldecott. She was just sixteen when she met Jack Winter, a gorgeous, larger-than-life mage who thrilled her with his witchcraft. Then a spirit Jack summoned killed him before Pete’s eyes—or so she thought. Now a detective, Pete is investigating the case of a young girl kidnapped from the streets of London. A tipster’s chilling prediction has led police directly to the child…but when Pete meets the informant, she’s shocked to learn he is none other than Jack. Strung out on heroin, Jack a shadow of his former self. But he’s able to tell Pete exactly where Bridget’s kidnappers are hiding: in the supernatural shadow-world of the fey. Even though she’s spent years disavowing the supernatural, Pete follows Jack into the invisible fey underworld, where she hopes to discover the truth about what happened to Bridget—and what happened to Jack on that dark day so long ago…

Copied from AMAZON

"Her name is Pete Caldecott. She was just sixteen when she met Jack Winter, a gorgeous, larger -than-life mage who thrilled her with his witchcraft. Then a spirit Jack summoned killed him before Pete's eyes--or so she thought. Now a detective, Pete is investigating the kidnapping of a young girl from the streets of London-- a case that brings her face to face with Jack. Strung out on heroin, Jack is a shadow of his former self. But he's able to tell Pete exactly where Bridget's kidnappers are hiding: in the supernatural shadow-world of the fey. Pete follows Jack into the fey underworld, where she hopes to discover the truth about what happened to Bridget-- and what happened to Jack on that dark day so long ago."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,761,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible