Legacy of the Eldric by David Burrows

Legacy of the Eldric

by David Burrows

English (8)  All (1)  All (9)
What I liked. As a first book in a trilogy, this novel took a traditional route. And boy was there plenty to cover in 170 pages. The major players in this book had to slowly come together, form a group, and set off on a quest. The mythology, various landscapes plus other bits and pieces of worldbuilding needed to take place so the reader could acclimate to this new world. An abundance of familiar tropes were used but unlike some, tropes used intelligently do not bother me in the slightest. But then I still read and reread all of David Eddings' early books and they don't come any tropier. (Is that a word? If not it should be...) All in all I was impressed with how much story took place.

What I did not like. In my opinion, this book suffered a bit from too much "telling". The narrator tells us everything that the protagonist does. We see nothing through the eyes or thoughts of the character himself. Hard to feel anything for him unless we feel what he feels and experience how he sees things.

Now please don't get me wrong. I am not saying there is no showing. I did get a good feel for the individual natures of the characters. I am just saying that I think the story would have been deeper and more personal if there had been less telling and more showing.

My Conclusion. Not bad. Definitely interesting enough to make me want to continue. There was only a hint of dragons but enough of one to lead me to believe there will be much more. Overall a good setup for what I am hoping will be a good old fashioned fantasy romp.

Full Review @Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
1 vote Mulluane | Nov 14, 2013 |
Overall I liked this book. I got the bind up book of all three. I thought it was a long book But, I also thought it needed to be a longer book to get all the information in the book.

Thanks for giving me this book in a giveaway and for having the giveaways. ( )
1 vote Conner23456 | Oct 11, 2010 |
(Disclosure: I got this book for free.)
When a book comes as the first of three, and has a map at the beginning with little mountains and forests in it, you know that it's in the shadow of another famous trilogy.

It's a quest story, with two characters who meet up, are joined by a third who starts the quest, and then they are later joined by a fourth. There is only one narrative thread, so it's on a lot smaller scale than the famous trilogy. The storytelling is good and the characters are interesting. Sometimes I found what they did puzzling, and their motivation wasn't always clear.

However I found the ending quite confusing. Also, it doesn't really come to a conclusion, it just pauses ready to resume in the next volume. I'm not that eager to read the next book, though if I came across it in a library I might out of curiosity. ( )
1 vote paulmorriss | Jun 16, 2010 |
My initial reaction on receiving this book was that I hoped that the story was better than the artwork on the cover. With respect to Philip McDonnell, the artwork does not do the book justice and I suspect does not help to sell the book. Sorry, I hate being negative but the front cover is so important.
Gladly the story was better than the artwork. It is basically a quest by three main characters, Kaplyn, Lars and Vastra for an illusive "something" that was left behind by the Eldric after a serious war. They are later joined by Lomas after entering a forest and falling foul of its protective forces.
The story has all the elements of a "tolkienesk" story, but David Burrows has achieved this without just churning out a copy. It is well written, the characters are good, the whole fantasy world is well built and it managed to keep me glued to it so I finished it in one sitting.
There are only two complaints. Firstly, the object of their quest was not spelled out clearly in this first book (or I missed it in my eagerness to read it) and secondly, it does not stand by itself as a complete book. The end of this book suddenly appeared as if chopped off in mid sentence and without having the second and third books to hand I suspect I shall have forgotten the finer detail by the time I lay my hands on the next two books. If the others are like this I would recommend reading them as one - much as I would with Lord of the Rings.
All round a great read and I would recommend this to everyone who enjoys fantasy, now I need to find books 2 and 3, or better still a complete volume of all three. (Lost half a star for ending mid breath.......) ( )
2 vote jltott | Jun 7, 2010 |
Prince Kaplyn grows bored of castle life and decides to venture beyond the walls of his privileged life. He has a big family - making him ninth in line to the throne - and longs to seek adventure, test his bravery and cunning. After a brief interlude where he meets a companion, Lars, who is shipwrecked far from home, the perfect opportunity presents itself: a quest. A man named Vastra, whose motives are questionable, hires Lars and Kaplyn to go to an abandoned city built by the legendary Eldric, a people of great magical ability who abandoned the world after helping defeat an evil enemy hundreds of years previously. First Vastra, a sorcerer himself, must raise the ruins of the city, revealing it in its splendor and beauty. The discoveries made there begin the journey of the three to find the Eldric and enlist their aid once more.

Quote: "True, the Krell tribes had been defeated years ago, fleeing to the remotest regions of the land, but there were still supposed sightings, and even rumors of attacks."

Although I did enjoy this book overall, I thought it got off to too slow of a start. The set up to the quest itself was too prolonged, and I didn't find myself really reading on eagerly until we got to that portion of the book. The characters are strong, with those to root for and against. There was a definite mythology, with a whole alternate world created. I was interested in seeing the outcome of the story, particularly the ending of book one which had me running to the second volume. ( )
1 vote mhleigh | Dec 4, 2009 |
The plot is quite fast paced with the minimum amount of world building needed to give background to the story while the 3rd person narrative is both clear and easy to read. Although the novel does contain the standard fantasy fair of Dwarves, Elves (at least their equivalent) and evil creatures, we are only really introduced to these as the story requires and nothing feels forced.

Legacy of the Eldric is pure escapism, a high fantasy novel that manages to entertain from beginning to end with an easy to read narrative, interesting characters and intelligent world building, I highly recommend this novel to any fan of fantasy fiction.

Long ago, the Eldric disappeared from the land shortly after the Krell Wars. Perhaps they believed the threat was gone, but they took with them their sorcery, the only effective means of defeating demons. Then came the prophecy and only one thing is certain, Drachar's shade will return. Against this backdrop three men seek what became of the Eldric. Vastra, recklessly ambitious, harbours a secret and he is prepared to kill to protect it. Kaplyn and Lars have their own reasons for helping, but who will succeed? Together they seek an Eldric talisman and the journey is fraught with peril, already there are clear signs that demons once again seek souls. None of the men realise the train of events they are about to set in motion will affect three worlds, nearly destroying theirs in the process. Their journey takes them deep into the bowels of the earth. All will not be as it seems, betrayal is in the air and yet salvation will come from an unlikely source. http://prophecyofthekings.com/

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:36 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

David Burrows's book The Prophecy of the Kings Book 1 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

David Burrows is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

David Burrows chatted with LibraryThing members from Apr 19, 2010 to May 2, 2010. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible