Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by…

Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories

by Karen Russell

A professor recommended this author's work to me and, for the most part, it lived up to my expectations. "Reeling" is pure genius, "The Vampire in the Lemon Grove" was quite good, but "The New Veterans" was probably her crowning achievement. The other stories in the collection either didn't appeal to me or simply fell flat at the end. Her writing is superb and regardless of which you prefer, if you're in it for the pleasure of experiencing beautiful (or startling as the case may be) prose, you won't be disappointed. ( )
  MPaddock | Sep 22, 2017 |
I love magical realism but for some reason couldn’t finish most of these stories. Not grounded in reality enough for me? I don’t know. I would start reading a go adrift at some point.

Some I did finish: The Seagull Army Descends on Strong Beach, 1979 in which a quiet high school student in the shadow of his dominant older brother decides to get the girl he wants even though his brother is dating her. The Barn at the End of Our Term, in which former presidents are reincarnated as horses. ( )
  Hagelstein | Sep 9, 2017 |
Karen Russell is an international treasure. Damn. ( )
  nikkinmichaels | Feb 4, 2017 |
Let me start with this: I hate short stories.

ETA: Let me end with this: I still do. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
A collection of short stories. Fantastical characters, plots and settings. ( )
  untitled841 | Feb 1, 2016 |
...the more persuasive stories in this book feature genuine outsiders who consider themselves monsters — because they are ugly or different, set apart from others by their looks or experience or self-conscious self-loathing.

It is these monsters that Ms. Russell portrays with such sympathy and inventiveness, and it is her ability to immerse us in their daily experiences and the exotic or not-so-exotic worlds they inhabit that underscore her fecund and constantly surprising storytelling gifts.

For J.T.
In October, the men and women of Sorrento harvest the primofiore, or first flowering fruit, the most succulent lemons; in March, the yellow bianchetti ripen, followed in June by the greenverdelli.

The audio version of this book is amazing, with different narrators for each story. Fabulous evocation of atmosphere: the horror creeps up on you, it's subtle!

Six short stories with subjects ranging from a dejected teenager who discovers that the universe is communicating with him through talismanic objects left behind in a seagull's nest to two vampires in a sun-drenched lemon grove who try helplessly to slake their thirst for blood.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible