To the Highest Bidder by Kate Steele

To the Highest Bidder

by Kate Steele

I love this premise and, after reading several stories in a row where the story didn't live up to the blurb, I was thrilled that this one worked.

The MCs are sweet, even Mitch who is an utter prick to Ben when they first meet. He comes back and apologises and heat happens! The sex is steaming in this, and the boys make a real connection, both emotionally and physically.

This was a funny, sweet, sexy story. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a fun, light read. ( )
  jules0623 | Mar 31, 2013 |

jules0623 | Mar 29, 2013 |
Kate Steele has written a sweet, humorous and yet at the same time angsty novella. By the time I got to the end of the story, I wanted more. Ben and Mitch were men who both had been hurt by love, but after meeting each other are willing to give love another chance. "To the Highest Bidder" is a great way to spend a quiet afternoon. I will be looking for more of Kate Steele's works in the future. ( )
  MsLasha | Oct 19, 2009 |
This is a very nice novella, it's a bit sexy and naughty but mostly it's romantic and sweet. Ben is a bookstore owner (and also for this chosen career I would have found him nice), but he is not the classical library mouse; he is young, 26 years old, pretty and gay. Apparently he has also no problem to find companionship when he wants, but Ben is now looking only for true love. Even if he has had a bad experience in the past, he still believe in love. Ben's lover left him since Ben wasn't willing to have an open relationship; in reaction to the dumping, or maybe to prove to himself that his idea of committed love was stupid, Ben spent months sleeping around, only to awake one day realizing that it wasn't what he wanted. Now Ben prefers to be alone if the man he has in front is nothing serious. But don't get me wrong, Ben is not some hermit, it's less than one year that he took that decision, so maybe, if fate didn't help him, it wouldn't have been long that he maybe reconsider.

Anyway Ben's best friend, Becca, decides to give him a special birthday present, a lunch date with Ben's favorite television star, Mitch. Mitch is really gorgeous and on screen he seems also very nice and with a deep personality. But the day of the appointment, Mitch is sullen and rude, and Ben leaves thinking that it's only true what they say of the stardom. This is probably the best part of the novella: it would have been simple to write a Cinderfella like story, where mousy Ben falls in love, with the big star Mitch, and he is reciprocated. And obviously, being Mitch famous and wealthy, it would have been simple to make him also the strong partner in the relationship.

Instead Mitch is, like often actors are, a man with a lot of complex, with a poor childhood and youth (poor of feelings not of money) and who, like Ben, was burned by love. Mitch is probably acting in life like he is acting on screen: he is trying to avoid some inner questions since he doesn't like the answer. His only long term relationship was with a man, and it was also his only same sex relationship, and it didn't go well. So now Mitch is having only female partners (and few up to all), telling himself that he is bisexual and that he is not attracted to men. For me instead, Mitch's conscience knows that he can fall in love only with a man, and so it avoids to be involved with one so it's not possible to break his heart again.

So there is nice contraposition between Ben and Mitch: Ben is the one with the low profile job, but he is also the one with a better self-esteem and comfortable with his sexuality; Ben has also a supportive family and circle of friends, where Mitch is practically alone. On the other hand, when they are in bed, it's always Mitch who plays the top; more, when it's the moment to be serious and real with their relationship, despite his sexuality issues, it's Mitch who faces the situation with more steadiness and certainty.

To the Highest Bidder is a story that gives more than expected, with two nice characters, very well developed; it has also the type of closing scene I love, where the author gives a glimpse on the couple after their happily ever after.

elisa.rolle | Jul 22, 2009 |
The characters and their interaction were very interesting, there's nothing like some good bickering to bring up the sexual tension. The realization that his idol is actually not like in the movies was a nice trait, since this is usually the reality of things. It was intriguing to see this story exploit that aspect of fame.

I really loved it but it was cut much, much too short. The story ended just when it felt like it was starting. We get some time skip as an epilogue to keep us from whining too much I guess but it's like baking a cake and coming back to see it was eaten without you and you're left with the cleaning up... ( )
  Isan | Jul 14, 2009 |

Ben Searcy's best friend and business partner presents him with a very unusual birthday gift. Becca has bid on and won an auction and she's handing her winnings over to Ben. The highest bidder gets the privilege of sharing lunch with Mitch DeSantis, star of wildly popular television show, Case Files.

Though he's a huge fan of the show and not above entertaining a steamy fantasy or two starring Mitch, Ben's not particularly thrilled with the idea. After all, how do you make conversation with someone you see on television every week? As it turns out, he needn't have worried. While Mitch is as gorgeous in person as he is on screen, he's also rude, arrogant, and a complete ass. Ben leaves before the main course is served, hoping never to see Mitch DeSantis again.

Fate has other plans. A completely changed and contrite Mitch shows up with an apology, a heart-stopping smile, and an invitation to dinner. It's a combo Ben finds hard to resist. This new Mitch is someone Ben could lose his heart to, but it's a one-time thing, right? No danger of that happening.

If he'd only known. Mitch has an ulterior motive that could lead to something neither one of them expected.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible