Dewey, the library cat by Vicki Myron

Dewey, the library cat

by Vicki Myron

Series: Dewey (1)

Marley & Me by John Grogan (jlsherman)
    jlsherman: For those whose pets are important to them, Marley & Me is a wonderful book about the relationship between humans and their animals, and how we will love them, no matter what.
    A Street Cat Named Bob: And How He Saved My Life by James Bowen (bookel)
    Dagboek van een poes by Remco Campert (aliebieb)
    Mornings with Barney : the true story of an extraordinary beagle by Dick Wolfsie (bookymouse)
    Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa (bookymouse)
    Scarlett Saves Her Family by Jane Martin (ainsleytewce)
    Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned about Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat by Gwen Cooper (coppers, thekoolaidmom)
    thekoolaidmom: They are both about special cats who had a rough start in life, but went on to love and inspire people.
    Mosby, the Kennedy Center Cat by Beppie Noyes (bks1953)
    The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: A delightful cat story
    Owl Came to Stay by Claire Rome (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: An Owl that Came to Stay has a similar feel and style of writing as Dewey does, and about the same length.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (ainsleytewce)
    My Five Tigers by Lloyd Alexander (bonne1978)
    Hunting Elf: A doggone Christmas story by Dave Donelson (smmorris)
    smmorris: Elf is a smart, do-it-my-way puppy and Dewey is the same, only he is a cat. While Elf is a work of fiction, it is based on a real "Elf." Dewey is non-fiction yet just as fun a read as Elf. Both will show you the strengths and persistence of pets. Both are happy reads you won't put down.… (more)

English (275)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (293)
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World starts in the worst possible way. Only a few weeks old, on the coldest night of the year, Dewey was stuffed into the returned book slot at the Spencer Public Library in Iowa. He was found the next morning by library director, Vicki Myron, a single mother who had survived the loss of her family farm, a breast cancer scare, and an alcoholic husband. Dewey won her heart, and the hearts of the staff, by pulling himself up and hobbling on frostbitten feet to nudge each of them in a gesture of thanks and love. For the next nineteen years, he never stopped charming the people of Spencer and the entire world with his enthusiasm and warmth. As a librarian and a cat lover I was looking forward to this book. However, it was not exactly what I expected. The writing is a bit clichéd and “sugary sweet” (and not in a good way). I would have preferred more stories about Dewey and less about the human characters. 2 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | May 19, 2017 |
This book is great both for children and adults. It is based off of a true story about a cat who lived in a library in a small town and built a close relationship with everyone. Very cute book for animal lovers to read.
  brittanysmith | Apr 27, 2017 |
This is a sweet book about a library cat -- an amazing story really. Unlike other reviewers, I enjoyed the parts not about Dewey, the cat. There's some history about the area, small town Iowa, and the people involved in Dewey's life. That enriches the book.

The story is unforgetable and a joy to read, but I can't give it 5 stars because it's not in the same league as books in that category. It's a different kind of book, entirely worthy of your time, especially if you like cats and/or libraries. I think all libraries should have a special cat who likes people. I'm glad Vicki told this story. It says as much about people and values as it does about a special cat that touched so many people.

Our local Ace Hardware has a resident cat that sometimes sits on the counter when people are checking out, but it doesn't seem to have the love of people like Dewey does. May all businesses in small towns consider a resident cat or dog that likes people. The power of animals in people's lives is proven. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
This is a book about a kind of love that anyone who's had a special animal in their lives will recognize. Also a love of place and community and family and friends. Despite the tears, this was just what I needed at this time - an antidote to the hatred and violence that seems to be in the headlines each and every day. ( )
  ingrid98684 | Jun 14, 2016 |
This was such an adorable book. Usually, I don't read cute", but this story really grabbed me because I used to work in a library and we had a cat. All the patrons loved him." ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
One frigid Midwestern winter night in 1988, a ginger kitten was shoved into the after-hours book-return slot at the public library in Spencer, Iowa. And in this tender story, Myron, the library director, tells of the impact the cat, named DeweyReadmore Books, had on the library and its patrons, and on Myron herself. Through her developing relationship with the feline, Myron recounts the economic and social history of Spencer as well as her own success story—despite an alcoholic husband, living on welfare, and health problems ranging from the difficult birth of her daughter, Jodi, to breast cancer. After her divorce, Myron graduated college (the first in her family) and stumbled into a library job. She quickly rose to become director, realizing early on that this was a job I could love for the rest of my life. Dewey, meanwhile, brings disabled children out of their shells, invites businessmen to pet him with one hand while holding the Wall Street Journal with the other, eats rubber bands and becomes a media darling. The book is not only a tribute to a cat—anthropomorphized to a degree that can strain credulity (Dewey plays hide and seek with Myron, can read her thoughts, is mortified by his hair balls)—it's a love letter to libraries. (Sept.)
added by cvosshans | editAmazon, Publisher's Weekly

To Gran, Mom, and Jodi, three amazing women who loved Dewey almost as much as I do
There is a thousand-mile table of land in the middle of the United States, between the Mississippi River on the east and the deserts on the west.
[Dewey] spent his time changing lives right here in Spencer, Iowa, one lap at a time.
Find your place. Be happy with what you have. Treat everyone well. Live a good life. It isn't about material things; it's about love. And you can never anticpate love.

How much of an impact can an animal have? How many lives can one cat touch? How is it possible for an abandoned kitten to transform a small library, save a classic American town, and eventually become famous around the world? You can't even begin to answer those questions until you hear the charming story of Dewey Readmore Books, the beloved library cat of Spencer, Iowa.

Dewey's story starts in the worst possible way. Only a few weeks old, on the coldest night of the year, he was stuffed into the returned book slot at the Spencer Public Library. He was found the next morning by library director, Vicki Myron, a single mother who had survived the loss of her family farm, a breast cancer scare, and an alcoholic husband. Dewey won her heart, and the hearts of the staff, by pulling himself up and hobbling on frostbitten feet to nudge each of them in a gesture of thanks and love. For the next nineteen years, he never stopped charming the people of Spencer with his enthusiasm, warmth, humility, (for a cat) and, above all, his sixth sense about who needed him most.

As his fame grew from town to town, then state to state, and finally, amazingly, worldwide, Dewey became more than just a friend; he became a source of pride for an extraordinary Heartland farming town pulling its way slowly back from the greatest crisis in its long history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:00 -0400)

The story of Dewey Readmore Books, the beloved library cat, starts in the worst possible way. Only a few weeks old, on the coldest night of the year, he was stuffed into the book return slot at the Spencer, Iowa, Public Library. He was found the next morning by library director, Vicki Myron, a single mother who had survived the loss of her family farm, a breast cancer scare, and an alcoholic husband. Dewey won her heart, and the hearts of the staff, by pulling himself up and hobbling on frostbitten feet to nudge each of them in a gesture of thanks and love. For the next nineteen years, he never stopped charming the people of Spencer with his enthusiasm, warmth, humility (for a cat), and, above all, his sixth sense about who needed him most.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Vicki Myron's book Dewey was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible