The Cross: 38,102 miles. 38 years. 1…

The Cross: 38,102 miles. 38 years. 1 mission.

by Arthur Blessitt

This books was good, not great, but it did contain a lot of amazing, great stories. The author, Arthur, has an amazing life story, but I think he should have let someone else write the actual book. Still, I am glad I read about his journey and the miracles he experienced. ( )
  karen.collins | Jun 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had already heard of this book but couldn't really get into it.
  lizplummer | Aug 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book made me cry...a lot. Whether or not any of this is real or if it is all imagined, it is a beautiful story with and even more beautiful message; love and faith conquer all. Love for God, Jesus, man, your friends, family, enenemies, strangers, everyone and everything whether or not you believe them "deserving." Faith in God, His will, His plan, and His miracles. Try as I might, I cannot share this book with my atheist parents and family. Please, read this book so that I might share it with you and we can bask in God's love together. Amen. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 25, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really, really wanted to like this book. The calling and the mission were very real and interesting. Mr. Blessitt's determination was inspiring. Unfortunately, his story-telling style managed to make his adventures seem far less interesting than they probably really were.
  cjoymr | Mar 9, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is no doubt that Arthur Blessit's tale is amazing. Spanning 38 years, Blessitt has undertaken a huge personal journey in his efforts to demonstrate the love of God to the people that he met on his travels.

Interpersed throughout this story are anecdotes from his travels - I just wish that there could have been more of them.

Ultimately though, given that I am not religious (despite being raised as a Roman Catholic), I found the story too much. I feel that it belongs to a old-fashioned form of spirituality. But I could easily see my mother thoroughly enjoying this book, and taking full benefit from Blessitt's story. ( )
  dudara | Oct 12, 2009 |

On May 17, 2008, Arthur Blessitt walked his 38,102nd mile in Zanzibar, off of the coast of Tanzania, completing a journey that began in 1969. Arthur started walking with a twelvefoot cross on December 25, 1969 and has successfully carried a large wooden cross into every nation and major island group of the world. This book reads like a travelogue as you journey with Arthur in country after country. Youll begin with Arthurs initial call from God to carry a cross from Hollywood, where he was known as the minister of Sunset Strip, across America to its capital, Washington, DC. Youll go with Arthur as he hacks his way through the Darien Jungle from Panama to Colombia. Youll join Arthur and his son, Joshua, as they take the cross to South Africa in 1986. Youll be moved by the stories of how God used them to bring people spiritual, physical and relational healing during the final tumultuous days of racial apartheid. Youll trek with Arthur and his wife, Denise, as they cross desert sands to take the cross to Saudi Arabia when the nation was closed to tourists and as they walk with the cross in the various regions of the former USSR just weeks after its collapse. As Arthur has traveled around the world, he has found the cross to be a universal symbol of Gods love that can be understood in spite of language and cultural barriers. He writes, Perhaps Im the only person in history who has been physically shaped by the weight of a cross. But the changes the cross has brought to my physical body are not important. What is important is how the cross has changed my life and the lives of so many others, from the inside out!
courtesy of Amazon

On May 17, 2008, Arthur Blessitt walked his 38,102nd mile in Zanzibar, off of the coast of Tanzania, completing a journey that began in 1969. Arthur started walking with a twelve-foot cross on December 25, 1969 and has successfully carried a large wooden cross into every nation and major island group of the world. This book reads like a travelogue as you journey with Arthur in country after country. You'll begin with Arthurs initial call from God to carry a cross from Hollywood, where he was known as the minister of Sunset Strip, across America to its capital, Washington, DC, and follow along across the nation and the globe.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Arthur Blessitt's book The Cross was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible