According to Their Deeds by Paul Robertson

According to Their Deeds

by Paul Robertson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I requested According to Their Deeds, I didn't realize it was from a Christian publisher. I wouldn't have read this book if I had so I'm glad I didn't. Deeds is not overtly Christian in nature. It strikes me as fiction for Christians who just want to avoid sex and profanity. There is, of course, a moral to the story, but it isn't rammed down the reader's throat. There is a subtlety that I appreciated. But what about the story, you ask? The main character is a rare book dealer who becomes involved in a mystery following the death of a long-time client. The story is well-structured and keeps you in suspense to the very end. I'm a sucker for mysteries and books with a book connection so I enjoyed the story. The political element was an added bonus. Overall, I would recommend According to Their Deeds to those looking for a light, quick read who share my bent towards book-related mystery. It isn't the best mystery novel I've ever read, but it kept me entertained, and I think it will keep you entertained as well. ( )
  iubookgirl | Jun 2, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book to review and I have to say that although it was written in a different style than I normally read I really, really enjoyed the book.

In my opinion well worth the read on a summer's afternoon. ( )
  VriesemaFamily | May 1, 2010 |
NCLA Review - Charles and Dorothy Beale are the owners of a rare books store in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. One of their clients, Derek, who works at the Justice Department, has been murdered during a robbery. At an auction, Charles buys back the books he has previously sold Derek. He finds that one of the rare books has been hollowed out and incriminating papers are hidden inside. The list of characters includes politicians, antiques dealers, the FBI, members of the Justice Department, employees of the book store, and a young man on probation. Charles wants to do what is right, keeping the things dear to him safe, and must decide what to do in this game of justice versus mercy. Rating: 4 —VJ ( )
  ncla | Dec 22, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a slow read. There was an interesting twist at the end, but I agree with others comments here that the characters lacked substance and depth. It was difficult for me to keep good track of the players as they felt like names only and not personalities.
  JoClare | Nov 4, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Seeing that books about books, libraries, booksellers and such are among some of my favorites to read, I was really looking forward to this book. That having been said, I found the book disappointing. I wanted to like it… I really did, but I just didn’t find the characters engaging. In fact I found them rather flat. Unfortunately the plot line didn’t make up for this lack of depth in characters. The plot was fairly predictable and aside from the ending had few twists of real interest.

Sadly, I cannot recommend this one with any enthusiasm.
  inkdrinker | Aug 25, 2009 |

light mystery

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764205684, Paperback)

Charles Beale lives happily in the shadows of Washington, D.C., as a respectable rare-books dealer. Or mostly respectable. He has a streak of the gambler in him and when a devoted client dies--a man deeply connected to the Justice Department--Beale eagerly regains the man's book collection...and soon finds himself with more than he bid on. In one volume, Beale discovers documents incriminating a host of major political figures--blackmail material that might have led to murder. Weighing questions of justice and mercy--and with a bull's-eye on his back--Beale must untangle a complicated knot of deadly lies and dangerous secrets.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:49 -0400)

Charles Beale lives happily in the shadows of Washington, D.C., as a respectable rare-books dealer. Or mostly respectable. He has a streak of the gambler in him and when a devoted client dies--a man deeply connected to the Justice Department--Beale eagerly regains the mans book collection...and soon finds himself with more than he bid on. In one volume, Beale discovers documents incriminating a host of major political figures--blackmail material that might have led to murder. Weighing questions of justice and mercy--and with a bulls-eye on his back--Beale must untangle a complicated knot of deadly lies and dangerous secrets.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul Robertson's book According to Their Deeds was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible