Elisha's Bones by Don Hoesel

An archeologist is chasing story of a religious relic and a biblical reference.

It starts with the death of Jack’s brother on a dig in Egypt. With the death of Will he retires from field archeology for 5 years to teach in North Carolina. A meeting with a billionaire in Dallas is the start of this relic search taking him to pre-Mayan ruins in Venezuela, to Addis Ababa to the Orthodox Church and on to Australia.

It starts out slow, about the first 35% is a setup and only after getting ready to depart Venezuela is when the action starts. Then I was hooked and didn’t want to put it down, even for sleep. If you enjoy archeology, a trip around the world and a thriller I recommend this book to you. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Feb 21, 2017 |
great book!!!!!! ( )
  katieloucks | Mar 21, 2016 |
great book!!!!!! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Elisha's Bones was a good, well-edited, thorough and satisfying story. Full of action and adventure, I read for a long time with two questions niggling at the back of my mind. I was afraid they wouldn't be answered, but I should have known better. Not only were my questions answered, there was a surprise near the end. I hadn't guessed it would end the way it did, and that says a lot for the writer. I would have liked more. I would have read another 100 pages about The Brotherhood, and I would have loved the story of Elisha as a bigger reminder in the book, but for what I think it was supposed to be, I loved it. And it makes me do the one thing I love to do, as well - a little research of my own. Jack Hawthorne, I hope you become a central character in many, many more of Don's books. ( )
  mreed61 | Aug 10, 2014 |
Author: Don Hoesel
Title: Elisha’s Bones
Description: Archaeology professor Jack Hawthorne is hired by a mysterious millionaire to find a sacred artifact. He travels around the world, hooks up with a beautiful woman, finds some clues, some people get killed…
Review source: Free on kindle (looks like it still is).
Plot: Too much happened in this book. The plot sent Jack and Espy from one crisis to another. Realistically, they shouldn’t have survived past Venezuela…
Characters: Character development isn’t a strong suit here. The characters are just something the plot happens to.
Writing style: Typical thriller. Very little character development because things keep happening. I don’t think this book would be in existence without The Da Vinci Code; it’s very much along those same lines.
Audience: This book is Christian fiction, but the Christian part is fairly light-handed. The relic (oh, you know it is Elisha’s bones; the title gives it away) supposedly has supernatural powers. Jack sort of equates if the bones really do have supernatural powers then God exists.
Wrap-up: I’m really not a big fan of thrillers. 2.5/5* ( )
  gveach | Jul 17, 2012 |
It's an indescribable sound when a piece of ancient stone finally gives.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764205609, Paperback)

Every year, professor of antiquities Jack Hawthorne looks forward to the winter break as a time to hide away from his responsibilities. Even if just for a week or two. But this year, his plans are derailed when he's offered almost a blank check from a man chasing a rumor. Billionaire Gordon Reese thinks he knows where the bones of the prophet Elisha are--bones that in the Old Testament brought the dead back to life. A born skeptic, Jack doesn't think much of the assignment but he could use the money, so he takes the first step on a chase for the legendary bones that will take him to the very ends of the earth. But he's not alone. Joined with a fiery colleague, Esperanza Habilla, they soon discover clues to a shadowy organization whose long-held secrets have been protected . . . at all costs. As their lives are threatened again and again, the real race is to uncover the truth before those chasing them hunt them down.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

When a billionaire offers him a deal too good to resist, professor of antiquities Jack Hawthorne embarks on an assignment to discover the bones of the prophet Elisha--bones that brought the dead back to life in the Old Testament.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Don Hoesel's book Elisha's Bones was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Don Hoesel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,029,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible