Eve by Elissa Elliott
2142754,496 (3)3

I actually finished this book a few weeks ago, and wish I'd written my review earlier while my thoughts were fresh in my head. My feelings about this book were a little mixed at times. Sometimes I found the book to be a bit cliche, and the story uninteresting. But then there were other parts when I just loved the writing and the thoughts of the characters. There were many times I loved the depiction of the Garden of Eden and "the fall" and the characters' relationship with God, but other times, not so much. But the good outweighed the bad, and overall, I enjoyed the book. I found a lot of the sections told by Eve to be really heartbreaking and I identified with many of her struggles with her faith. I can only imagine what it would be like to read it as a mother, and I can see why Kim and Mom may have enjoyed it more, reading it from that point of view. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
This was quite an undertaking for a first time author and she did the story justice. We meet Eve as she is created from Adam, follow her through the expulsion from Eden on through her life on earth. The story is told by Eve herself and her daughters Naava, Aya and Dara. Ms. Elliott fills out the story nicely and even puts in some humour about her relationship with Adam. Well done story. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
yay! new first reads win! I love free books.
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Finished in 3 days-found it thought provoking. ( )
  Janicelorraine | Oct 20, 2011 |
Thanks to Goodreads for an advanced copy. While I enjoyed the book I found it to be a bit slow moving. The characters are very likable and it's nice to hear things from Eve's side. Overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  SenoraG163 | Sep 10, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038534144X, Hardcover)

It is the world’s oldest tale: the story of Eve, her husband, Adam, and the tragedy that would overcome her sons…. In this luminous debut novel, Elissa Elliott puts a powerful twist on biblical narrative, boldly reimagining Eve’s journey. At once intimate and universal, timely and timeless, this unique work of fiction blends biblical tradition with recorded history and dazzling storytelling. And as it does, Eve comes to life in a way religion and myth have never allowed—in a novel that explores the very essence of love, motherhood, faith, and humanity.

In their world they are alone…a family haunted by banishment, struggling for survival in a harsh new land. A woman who has borne and buried children, Eve sees danger shadowing those she loves, while her husband drifts further and further from the man he was in the Garden, blinded by his need to rebuild a life outside of Eden. One daughter, alluring, self-absorbed Naava, turns away from their beliefs. Another, crippled, ever-faithful Aya, harbors a fateful secret, while brothers Cain and Abel become adversaries, and Dara, the youngest, is chosen for a fate of her own.

In one hot, violent summer, by the shores of the muddy Euphrates, strangers arrive on their land. New gods challenge their own. And for Eve, a time of reckoning is at hand. The woman who once tasted the forbidden fruit of paradise sees her family unraveling—as brother turns on brother, culminating in a confrontation that will have far-reaching consequences for them all.

From a woman’s first awakening to a mother’s innermost hopes and fears, from moments of exquisite tenderness to a climax of shocking violence, Eve takes us on a breathtaking journey of the imagination. A novel that has it all—romantic love, lust, cruelty, heroism, envy, sacrifice, murder—Eve is a work of mesmerizing literary invention by a singular new voice in fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

In the final days of her life, a widowed Eve looks back on her long and eventful life, including her early life in the Garden of Eden, her encounter with a beguiling Lucifer, her life with Adam and their children, and her yearning for God's forgiveness.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elissa Elliott's book Eve was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible