The Bishop's Daughter by Tiffany L. Warren

The Bishop's Daughter

by Tiffany L. Warren

OMG! What a good book! What a good read! I enjoyed reading this book so much. I started on it today after church and finished it up in less than 6 hours.

Tiffany Warren tells a great story that keeps you wanting to turn the pages to know what is going to happen next. Her characters are believalbe and so true to life.

She addresses issues that we all battle with in a way that's not preachy (since this is a christian fiction book).

I've read other books by her and they are just as good. Looking forward to reading a lot more from this author. ( )
  jrpatterson | Jan 3, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time getting into this book. I finished it, but it's not something that I would recommend. ( )
  aslikeanarnian | Dec 6, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Tiffany Warren is able to craft a compelling story. I received the book as an LT Early Reviewer and I'm very much not in the book's target demographic--I'm an atheist who doesn't read romance or chick-lit but likes erotica--and I'll admit that I was eager to find out what happened to the characters.
Unfortunately, I couldn't give the book higher marks because there are some structural problems with it. The ultimate conflict of the book was minimal and was almost immediately resolved. Also, the characters felt very two-dimensional. Darrin's conversion felt very rushed and I found it hard to believe that an avowed player would immediately change his ways after a few church visits.
Ultimately, this is an adequate light read but it isn't very taxing. ( )
  MoxieHart | Nov 1, 2009 |
Perfect for : Personal reading, book club read (discussion questions included)

In a nutshell: The book is written in three voices: 1. Darin Bainbridge 2. The Diary of a Mad Black Blogger (Darin's online blog personality), 3. Emoni Prentiss (the eldest daughter of Bishop Prentiss, single). Darin learns of Bishop Kumal Prentiss from his current fling, and decides that the Bishop and his 30,000+ followers are worth investigating - there has to be some scandal surrounding the Bishop! He travels from Cleveland to Atlanta to write the story, and as he goes to the church to begin investigating, his life begins to change in ways he least expected! It took quite a few chapters for me to really get hooked, but somewhere around chapter 14 I couldn't put the book down! This is a wonderful story about a pastor and his family, and how God works and touches everyone's lives.

Extended Review: He wants to write an expose about Bishop Prentiss, whom he is determined is cheating his 30,000+ followers somehow - Darin just needs to discover what he is doing! She wants to find a husband, but being the eldest daughter of Bishop Prentiss has made Emoni sort of off-limits so far! Darin is immediately appreciative of Emoni when he sees her in church, but he is determined not to become involved with her because it could compromise his goal of writing an expose on her father. The Bishops family is lovable in a quirky sort-of down-home way. I liked the fact that they were real people trying to make the best choices.

Characters: Darin Bainbridge is the son of a wealthy business owner who has been living off his father with the help of his mother, he is now on a mission to write an expose article about Bishop Prentiss, a very successful preacher with 30,000+ followers. Darin also writes a blog: The Diary of a Mad Black Blogger, where he talks about what is going on in his life/investigations. Then we have the handsome (not pretty) Emoni Prentiss, the single, eldest daughter of Bishop Prentiss.

Story-Line: We get a good look into the Bishop's family - both ups and downs - as Darin joins the church and becomes close to the family during the course of his investigation. Darin too undergoes life changing events, and must ultimately decide whether or not to share what he does learn about the family.

Readability: I struggled with the a little of the blogging dialect, but grew used to it. Otherwise, the book was a fairly easy and quick read.

Overall: I've never really considered what it would be like to be a pastor's daughter. This book presented readers with a nice look into one such family, and how faith and family impacted each person, including friends of the family. In the end, we learn that sometime it is good to leave some skeletons in the closet, while embracing others. I enjoyed the ending of the book and feel that the discussion questions at the end are very thoughtful. ( )
  wbarker | Sep 10, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read hardly any of this book and can't rate it fairly. I think my issue was with the initial characterization of the hero. He was just too unpleasant and I was not looking forward to seeing him reformed by an extraordinary woman.
  katie.chase | Jul 15, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446195146, Paperback)

Darrin Bainbridge is your typical playboy in need of love, but not yet ready. He is a freelance journalist trying to break his big story. After a visit from his mother, Darrin gets an idea. He has heard all kinds of stories about "Hollywood" ministers who hold their church services on television, live in nice houses, drive nice cars, and have lots of money and women. Darrin is disgusted by it all especially when his mother Priscilla starts shouting praises for Atlanta Bishop Kumal Prentiss. Darrin decides to go to Atlanta, become a member of the bishop's church, and expose him for the hustling fraud that he believes he is. He just never planned on falling in love with the Bishop's daughter.

Darrin suddenly finds himself torn between his new found friend and his possible big break.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

Journalist Darrin Bainbridge is disgusted by the "Hollywood" ministers who hold their church services on TV and rake in lots of money. When he falls in love with a bishop's daughter, he finds himself torn between the woman he loves and the biggest story of his career.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tiffany L. Warren's book The Bishop's Daughter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,725,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible