The Agency by Ally O'Brien

The Agency (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Ally O'Brien

Member:MissMac
Title:The Agency
Authors:Ally O'Brien
Info:St. Martin's Press (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***

The Agency by Ally O'Brien (2008)

English (42)  Finnish (1)  All (43)
loved this book-- a light, cheeky, and hold your interest sort of book that is perfect reading for in between more intense books, say Brian Freeman's work for example ;)
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
This was a quick, fast-paced read. It was interesting in terms of learning about how vindictive people in publishing are. (Are they?! How would I know:-)) Either way, it doesn't take much time to read and it is entertaining.

I usually enjoy books in which it actually feels like the author knows about the subject. This sounds like a given but it really is not. (Case in point: Almost every book where the main character is a doctor.) In chick-lit types of books, it is easy to just gloss over this with well-written dialogue and a good plot but it always annoys me when it feels (to the reader) that there was minimal research done. Anyway, I felt that the author/s of this one actually knew all about the publishing world.

FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
I rarely read/enjoy chick lit. I have no idea what made me pick up this book, but I'm glad I did. It made me smile, it broke my heart and it was surprisingly suspenseful. At first I disliked the heroine,Tess Drake, (possibly more than I've ever disliked one) for being a selfish bitch. Bit by bit I learned that that's not all she is, and by the end I absolutely adored her. She's opportunistic and promiscuous, but also vulnerable and (mostly) loyal. Tom Cruise makes an appearance, which is kind of awesome - I see Tess Drake as the Jerry Maguire of the publishing business.

I loved The Agency, and it made me think I should give this genre a try more often. ( )
  julienne_preacher | May 18, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sorry that I forgot to write the review. This book didn't thrill me. I "forced" myself to finish it, and then promptly forgot all about it. In my opinion, that's not a good sign...a good book will make you continue to think about/reflect/question it. All I remember is that there was a lot of swearing in it. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend. ( )
  jwilk55 | Mar 19, 2010 |
I really liked this book. I loved Tess Drake's character, edgy, feminine and vulnerable all at the same time. I just flew through this book. ( )
  risadabomb | Feb 2, 2010 |

Ally O'Brienprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reading, KateReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cock, MariskaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Feberwee, EricaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Finke, AstridÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toivanen, Lotta(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn leven.
Om halfacht 's ochtends - ik zat in de bus van Putney Heath naar Piccadilly - sloeg de crisis toe.

Meet Tess Drake. She’s earned everything she has. Now it’s time to get what she deserves…

Sexy super-agent Tess Drake has worked hard to make a name for herself in the glamorous yet cut-throat entertainment industry. Tess works at an international agency, where she skillfully manages some of the world's biggest egos—her company, Bardwell International operates in the thrilling, fast-paced worlds of Rights, wrongs and revenge. Tess has been an agent there for longer than she cares to remember and now she's in trouble. Real trouble. After the mysterious death of the agency's senior partner, Lowell Bardwright, Tess's sworn enemy, Cosima Tate, has taken over and would do anything to send Tess's career down in flames.  And Cosima is only one of the rogue’s gallery of agents in London and New York who want Tess to take a fall.

Tess has another little complication, too.  She’s sleeping with men on both sides of the Atlantic who are in bed with the women who are trying to sink her.

Can Tess jump ship without losing her clients and breaking her heart?  Or will she lose everything before finding out if she really has what it takes to do what she’s always wanted?

There’s risk and reward in this wickedly funny novel that turns the world of agenting inside out and lays bare all the ambition, sex, adrenaline, bad luck, and good luck at the center of one young woman’s success.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:05 -0400)

As an agent in a multinational media agency, Tess Drake deals with some of the world's biggest egos, in this wickedly sharp, page-turning novel that turns the world of being an agent inside out and lays bare all the ambition, adrenaline, and luck at the center of one young woman's success.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ally O'Brien's book The Agency was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible