Maple Sugarin' in Vermont: A Sweet History…

Maple Sugarin' in Vermont: A Sweet History

by Betty Ann Lockhart

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me nearly half the book, but I've come to realize that I'm really not all that interested in the maple sugar industry. Or maybe I am, but it's just the writing that's turned me off. Either way, I've passed it along to a friend. ( )
  melydia | Jun 15, 2009 |
I'm a maple syrup purist, which is to say that my pancakes are covered with nothing but the real maple syrup. I also love reminiscing about years gone by in which I would take my young children to maple syrup festivals at local nature centers. Although most of my local stores sell maple syrup originating in Canada, I’d been eager to learn what this book had to say about maple sugaring in Vermont.

The book is a treasure trove of history about how the maple sugar industry began. It was started by the Abenaki, native American Indians, and then adopted by American colonists who saw what a useful commodity maple sugar, and later maple syrup, were. This history of maple sugaring includes such interesting information as why abolitionists became big supporters of the maple sugar industry (to avoid supporting slavery in the production of sugar from Jamaica) as well as what happed to the von Trapp family after their escape from Nazi Europe (they became a maple sugaring family in Vermont!).

The book has many vintage pictures and (somewhat long) quotations from original sources. Although this book was well-researched, the way the facts were presented made it a bit tedious to read. At times, I felt almost as if I were reading an encyclopedia article rather than a popular book. Nevertheless, if facts are important to you, you'll probably find the reading more interesting than I did, although the historical facts were probably something I benefited from learning. ( )
1 vote SqueakyChu | Mar 15, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Though I've never been to Vermont, I want to go there now and visit some of the Maple Sugar farms discussed in this fascinating book. It covers the history from a surmised Native American use based on archaeological evidence to the present day, and I appreciated the writing being more interesting than dry history. Many black and white photos are included and they really complete the book. I only wish it had a free sample page in the back!

The book itself is nicely printed by an independent press that specializes in local history. ( )
  vetters | Mar 13, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading the history of maple sugarin'. The author does a great job with keeping your interest. One great added bonus is that she adds photo's that are just as interesting as the text. I think my favorite chapter has to be chapter 16 where it has several really great reciepies. I think anyone who enjoys reading non-fiction history type books will enjoy this one. History Press has a whole line of great books I plan to check out. ( )
  KathyWoodall | Mar 6, 2009 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Betty Ann Lockhart's book Maple Sugarin’ in Vermont: A Sweet History was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible