Silence by Christopher Brookhouse

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While this book was well written, I didn't find the book particularly interesting or gripping and. I can't think of anyone I would recommend it to. I think the statements from the publisher-included reviews that this author 'understands women better than women understand themselves' I do not agree with. i feel that his female characters only ever thought about sex and were simply one-dimensional. I didn't find them to be that interesting. And I didn't find anything that happened to any of the female characters was surprising. For instance, the reveal that the mother was a lesbian was supposed to be shocking, but it was just kind of boring. As was the whole book. Predictable, cliched.
  thmazing | Jan 9, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book did absolutely nothing for me. It skipped around a lot, making it difficult to figure out who was narrating at times. There was not much substance and I found myself getting bored. I only stuck with it because it was such a short story. ( )
  heatherlynn85 | Oct 8, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is very little I can say about this book that is positive. It was interesting seeing a book written in present tense--don't see many of those nowadays. It seems like the characters really had some great potential, and pretty much wasted it all by sleeping around. The dialogue and situations were highly unrealistic--nobody actually talks or acts like that. The book itself was so cookie-cutter, no personality, no humor, no nothing. Cold, boring narration. There were also moments when Harriet, the main character's mother, spoke in first person, and those didn't really work with the rest of the book.[...]

Rating: 1.5/5 ( )
  Runa | Jul 23, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The characters are unique, yet believable... their choices are difficult to agree with, yet understandable. I don't understand the bad press this book got, as I found it a lovely contrast- raw and beautiful from beginning to end.
  PirateColey | Apr 25, 2009 |
I never read a complete review before reading a novel, and I am glad I did not read any of the reviews here for this fine story. If I had, I might have been misled.

Admittedly in two or three places in its 150 pages, I did have to pause to see who the omniscient narrator was talking about, but little else confused me. The italicized passages were clearly Harriet’s thoughts, and I will not give away any more than that.

Yankee stoicism rings loud and clear in this aptly named novel of the characters’ inability to communicate. So many times they creep to the edge, look over into the chasm below, but turn and leave without uttering a word. But that is not all. The novel has an air of mystery in the silences of people walking, driving, performing ordinary, and not so ordinary, everyday tasks.

Brookhouse has written lots of good character development along with his descriptions of places and events. 5 stars, even though I wanted more -- I will read more of his work.

--Jim, 3/27/09 ( )
  rmckeown | Mar 26, 2009 |
For Captain Chan and his Crew
Living in a small town, I hear a lot of things, but I'm always surprised about what I don't hear.
I think God takes care of you when you do the wrong things. God's a realist, after all.

(From inside flap)
Days before her high school graduation, Nikki Groh runs away from the New Hampshire town where she has grown up. In the months that follow, Nikki will find her way back home, a young woman much changed from her earlier self.
Harriet Groh, Nikki's adoptive mother, is the person most affected by Nikki's absence. Much of the story is told by her, and much of the story is about her, how she "disappears" too, from an earlier self and discovers her own
voice, even if silence is the language in which she finds it.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Christopher Brookhouse's book Silence was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,378,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible