Grandma Gets Laid by Ken Shakin

Grandma Gets Laid

by Ken Shakin

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was hopeful in the first 10 pages, then couldn't make it past 50. I've tried several times to re-read, and it's just not going to happen. In all my years of reading, this is only the 4th book I've ever not finished. But I'd rather stop, then waste too much time on something just to say I finished it. ( )
  reigners | Jan 5, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm sorry-- this book is not for me. Barbara (Grandma) is a sad, pathetic character-- who Shakin holds up to ridicule and clearly does not like. And while I did not like her or care what happened to her either, it was weird and oddly uncomfortable to read a story where the author has it in for the main character that he created. I didn't find it funny, urbane or hip at all. NOT FOR ME AT ALL.
--i have reviewed this book twice-for some reason it is not showing on the LT list of early reviewed books??? hopefully, this is the last time i need to say i hated this book. ( )
  bplma | Oct 26, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Did not like, primarily because the protagonist is simply unbelievable. I can understand and appreciate characters that are flawed or difficult to write. Grandma here, however, is too obviously the author - that is, the character is unbelievable and exhibits not a single iota of femininity or a shred of any plausibility that this character could exist anywhere outside of a hyperaggressive talk radio shock jock's imagination. ( )
  cmoore | Jul 23, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ugh. I tried to read this. Twice. Really.

However, it is repulsive. I got 20 pages in the second time, and after the grandmother who gives her five-year-old grandson a martini, and the son-in-law more concerned with the five-year-old's puke on his Prada shoes than his son's welfare (though he relishes the proof that his mother-in-law is crap), and the neurotic, doormat of a daughter, and the hideous ex-husband/grandfather who "only hires virgins" and his secretary/slut new wife who returns from the bathroom after shoving her fingers down her throat...

Well, why bother reading more? It's not poorly written, but neither is it well-written. Every character is either despicable or pitiful (it seems even the writer hates them, though in an unpleasantly gleeful manner) and I'm dumping this one ASAP. BLECH! ( )
  kayceel | Jul 10, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm putting I'm currently reading because I haven't yet finished. I read the first 50 pages and just can't continue. It wasn't too bad for the first ten, but I can only take so much of a two year olds birthday party where the grandma is getting drunk and can care less about the child who's day it is... I was hoping this would be funny when I requested it from the early reviewers, so far it's just droning on. I'm probably try it again here soon, since I'm out of book again, so maybe my review will change, but right now, I just can't do it. And I usually read a book in two days if that!!!! ( )
  symara | Apr 23, 2009 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ken Shakin's book Grandma Gets Laid was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,399,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible