Busted Flush by George R. R. Martin

Busted Flush (2008)

by George R. R. Martin (Editor)

Other authors: S. L. Farrell (Contributor), Victor Milán (Contributor), John Jos. Miller (Contributor), Kevin Andrew Murphy (Contributor), Walton Simons (Contributor)4 more, Melinda M. Snodgrass (Contributor), Caroline Spector (Contributor), Ian Tregillis (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor)

Series: Wild Cards (19)

2191853,142 (3.44)1

I won this book in the Early Reviewers give away. It was ok, but didn't hold my attention well. ( )
  ResQdog51 | Feb 1, 2015 |
In a world where new Aces are recruited to appear on Suvivor meets American Idol type programs, the latest crop of reality TV graduates find themselves making some deadly serious choices. For Neil, Niobe, Michelle, and the rest, having a social conscience is much harder than it appears at first glance. Actions have consequences. Just how far are they willing to go to defend a line in the sand, blood, oil rights, and the future of children. Some things shouldn't be left up to the government - but can a handful of aces do any better?

Not as bleak and scary a picture as was painted in previous installments, but if you're looking for optimistic worldviews, elsewhere would be a better choice. ( )
  SunnySD | Apr 11, 2011 |
...I guess this novel shows the limits of the Wild Cards approach. This book is graced with some very good writing, a number of good action scenes and a fair number of interesting ideas, superpowers and characters. The plot is all over the place however. The Wild Cards collective has failed to make this book into one novel. For the real Wild Cards fan there is still plenty to enjoy compared to the previous entry it isn't a very strong book. Maybe it suffers from the middle book syndrome a bit? Perhaps some of the loose ends will be dealt with in the final book of this trilogy, Suicide Kings, but even that is not going to turn Busted Flush into a truly satisfying read.

Full Random Comments review ( )
1 vote Valashain | Mar 28, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love the concept of having multiple writers on books I think you get a different kind of story and many new authors to take a peek at.

I think that you can read this novel without reading the others in the series but I still think that you are missing information of the back story. I have had a hard time reading this book because of this. I have tried to pick it up several times but have not been able to get past page 50. Others have found this book more promising than I have but thats not to say it's not a bad book it just doesn't hold my attention.
  Wolson | Nov 2, 2009 |

Snodgrass, Melinda M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spector, CarolineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tregillis, IanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I find myself avoiding the passages about ashes and worms

In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent of those it infected.  Nine percent survived to mutate into tragically deformed creatures.  And one percent gained superpowers.  The Wild Cards shared-universe series, created and edited since 1987 by New York Times #1 bestseller George R. R. Martin ("The American Tolkien" --Time magazine) along with Melinda Snodgrass, is the tale of the history of the world since then—and of the heroes among the one percent.

Now a new generation of heroes has taken its place on the world stage, its members crucial players in international events. At the United Nations, veteran ace John Fortune has assembled a team of young aces known as the Committee, to assist at trouble spots around the world–including a genocidal was in the Niger Delta, an invasion of zombies in hurricane ravaged New Orleans, and a freak nuclear explosion in a small Texas town.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

A collection of "Wild Cards" tales finds veteran ace John Fortune assembling a team of powerful mutants to assist the world's troubled regions, in a volume that includes contributions by such writers as Melinda Snodgrass, Carry Vaughn, and Stephen Leigh.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,052,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible