Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (1998)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (2)

67,5245892 (4.14)7 / 614
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (557)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (590)
My least favourite in the series ( )
  Mags_Standi | Jul 7, 2014 |
My first one was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I am not The Cuckoo's Calling. I am The Silkworm. 2nd place. ( )
  allygggggg | Jun 11, 2014 |
The second installment of the Harry Potter series. Again, I say JK's writing style is superb, her character and plot development is spot on, and her book is overall very clean.

Things to watch out for:
Romance: Two characters are said to have kissed
Language: Very minimal (so much so I can't remember specifics)
Violence: minimal explosions and spell mistakes, one characters bones are magically removed in his hand, but are regrown, a Bludger (magic sports ball) attempts to seriously hurt a character, students duel each other, a creature's eyes are stabbed, characters are petrified
Other: magic (though not demonic), rule breaking ( )
  Jenneth | Jun 2, 2014 |
Harry potter was awesome.
it was cool how their are wizards and witches.
My favorite character is dumbeldor.
It has a decent amount of action.

The Dusleys the people harry lived with were so mean
that all harry wanted to do was to go back to hogwarts.
Then harry got a warning letter from a creater named dobbey.
The letter said that if harry goes back bad things will happen

It also has a good story line.
Harry potter is pretty cool.
His best friends are Ron and hoeminey.
  JaredC.Blue4 | Jun 1, 2014 |
I kept picturing the video game based off this book as I listened to it. I must have watched my brother play the game to much. :) Anyways, I don’t think I could possibly not enjoy this book, or series for that matter. It’s certainly not always realistic (even for a magical world) but there are some books where you just don’t need to have it make sense. I wonder if that’s because of how popular they are or if that’s why they became so popular. They are not books that will make you giggle yourself out of your seat or get teary eyed, but they have a charming quality to them. I suppose you just get invested in the characters and that’s that. I am glad I’m rereading this series. It’s been a few years since I’ve gone through the series and it’s interesting to remember the difference between the books and the movies which are much fresher in my mind at the moment. Actually the first two movies followed the books very closely. I am looking forward to listening to the next, the third, book. ( )
  Kassilem | May 2, 2014 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kapari, JaanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.
the isbn for this copy is for the novel - not the film
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439064864, Hardcover)

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:46 -0400)

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible