dismiss

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (1998)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (2)

88,1508482 (4.17)7 / 1004
When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson & the Nuckelavee by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (804)  Spanish (11)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (845)
I honestly forgot how accurate the first two movies were to the books. Although rereading it I forgot all about Nearly headless Nick's death day party, peeves, Ginny's love poem, and the sword of Gryffindor nearly knocking Harry out! Love it ( )
  JulianaMD | Jun 1, 2020 |
Harry Potter Re-Read with buddies!

It turns out that I didn't miss much the first time I read this more than a decade ago, but that's not an issue. I still loved the story. It helps that I've watched the movie like a gazillion times.

Sometimes it's all about introducing a new generation to basilisks and evil diaries and old socks. :)

Sometimes it's all about hating muggles.

I hate muggles! Ahem. I mean, sometimes muggles really get on my nerves. :) And sometimes the deserve everything they get. Hmmm. I get the impression, sometimes, that I might have done very well in Slytherin. :)

But alas, the test has me firmly in Hufflepuff. I'm okay with that. Really. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I am now pretty sure that this one is indeed my least favorite Harry Potter book. Lockhart just grates on me so much that it's impossible for me to give this five stars, and unlike in OOTP, there is not specific part of the overall story that I absolutely love. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Definitely my least favorite. ( )
  ShelfImprovement | May 27, 2020 |
Re-read. I think I'm too old for this shit tbh😂 ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
"My dear boy, ... do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done those things. No one wants to read about some ugly old Armenian warlock, even if he did save a village from werewolves. He'd look dreadful on the front cover. No dress sense at all. And the witch who banished the Bandon Banshee had a hairy chin. I mean, come on ..."
"So you've just been taking credit for what a load of other people have done?"
"Harry, Harry," said Lockhart, shaking his head impatiently, "It's not nearly as simple as that. There was work involved. I had to track those people down. Ask them exactly how they managed to do what they did. ^Then I had to put a memory charm on them so they wouldn't remember doing it.^
... No, it's been a lot of work, Harry. It's not all book-signings and publicity photos, you know. You want fame, you have to be prepared for a long hard slog."
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.

AR Level 6.7, 14 pts
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)
Snuck in girls bathroom.

Dead chick offered me her loo.

Won’t go there again.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,640,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible