Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling

73,3296872 (4.16)7 / 788
Member:Vivaa
Title:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (651)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (686)
once upon a time I was WAY TOO COOL to read Harry Potter when I was the actual age I should've read Harry Potter, and then after a series of misgivings, near fatal errors, and directionless soul searching I finally sit down and start going through the series, and realize yeah I should not have been so WAY TOO COOL when I was a dumb teenager because maybe reading these along with everyone else my age would have helped me stop being such an adolescent jerk. the end. ( )
  weeta | Jul 21, 2016 |
When I first read The Chamber of Secrets in 8th grade, I loved it, but I remember not liking it quite as much as the original. I didn't like Gilderoy Lockhart at all, which I suppose was sort of the point, and I found the whole "diary thing" a bit weird at that age. Reading it now at the age of 28, I can definitely appreciate the added complexity this book has over the first in the series.

The book is absolutely amazing, as I'm sure most of the people reading this will already know. Few books capture me like the Harry Potter books do, and I was tripling my normal reading pace over the past 3 days because it was so hard to put down, even though I already knew what was going to happen.

As I stated in my review for the first book, I'm so glad I finally decided to re-read these after all these years. Also, I want a blue Ford Anglia now. ( )
  Ape | Jul 14, 2016 |
Just a few pages in and I was completely immersed in the world of Hogwarts. Even though this was a reread and I knew what was going on and how it would end I was spellbound. What I didn't remember was its mischievous humor - " the Lockharts in the pictures dodging out of sight, their hair in rollers", "the Mandrakes threw a loud and raucous party...the moment they start trying to move into each other's pots, we'll know they're fully mature," and making us wait so long to find out what Ginny caught Percy doing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought... ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
This was so good!
All the mystery really hooked me... ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
I don't think I can even evaluate these books anymore as I have read them so often this is like a comfortable blanket. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 16, 2016 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomic, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439064864, Hardcover)

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,474,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible