Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling

75,8847272 (4.16)7 / 890
Member:Vivaa
Title:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (691)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (728)
Continuing in my journey to reread the Harry Potter series, although the writing seems tighter than the first book, the novel is elementary in nature, catering I suppose to the 10-11 year olds that are the target audience.

You can see the characters develop though - the courage of Harry, the cleverness of Hermione, the loyalty of Ron. I remember the books starting to come into their own starting with book 3, so this should be interesting.

bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
I liked this book because it had a very tempting and alluring plot that made me as a reader want to find out more and more about what was going to be the outcome in the end. The story is set up in a way that resembles a mystery novel, which is very good at keeping the audience interested, in my opinion. The plot is that there is a certain something that has been set loose in a magical school that is petrifying students and animals as well. The problem is that no one knows who set it out to do these things, or what the creature is. This is an example of a good modern fantasy plot that is believable, albeit fantastical being that it is set in a magical school. I found the writing to be engaging and very descriptive which was a positive thing in my opinion. For example, when the book does a good job of describing the scenery, such as when the author is describing one of the main character’s, Ron Weasley’s, house, known as the Burrow. The author writes, “Four or five chimneys were perched on top of the red roof. A lopsided sign stuck in the ground near the entrance read, ‘The Burrow’. Around the front door lay a jumble of rubber boots and a very rusty cauldron. Several fat chickens were pecking their way around the yard”. The author’s writing is very colorful which I really enjoyed and helped me paint a clear picture in my mind. This is also an example of a good Modern Fantasy because novel because it is an imaginative setting as shown from my example before. In the end, we come to find out that the beast was released in the school to rid it of all the wizards considered to be of “unpure” blood. The main idea of this novel is to be tolerant of people who are unlike you. ( )
  nkiwal1 | Mar 28, 2017 |
Back when I was first got into Harry Potter, this was one of my least favorites. It seemed slow and not nearly as thrilling as the first. After several reads, it is still near the bottom but just because it isn't one of my favorites doesn't mean I don't think it is good. Later rereads give you the benefit of having found out about the Horcruxes introduced in later novels. You see the little seeds Rowling as planted and that makes reading it so much better at least to me.

I think of the things I least like about this book is not just Lockhart who is a nitwit but how much of a Harry crazed tweenager Ginny was written to be. Ginny is an amazing character. Book Ginny anyway. Her main character trait in this book is to be crushing on Harry and because she is crushing so hard, she is easily swayed by Voldemort. I can forgive Rowling for that as it was an early novel and Ginny was just 11. Eleven year olds can be a bit crazy at times (OK most of the time, I was one after all).

Chamber of Secrets is a great continuation of a wonderful series. I wish I liked it more but again, just because it is not my favorite does mean it is not a good book. Even the best series of books and movies have some that are just better than others. Harry Potter is one of them. ( )
1 vote jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Great book. Great for everyone ( )
  ElizaTelfer | Mar 16, 2017 |
I adore how well everything is wrapped up in the final chapter. I mean, I nearly burst into tears when the Weasley family basically pounced on Harry to hug him for saving Ginny. ( )
  mcj545 | Mar 14, 2017 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

I'm reading these books. I'm older this time, and I see the foreshadowing.
Still love the wizard world

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomic, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.
AR Level 6.7, 14 pts
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)
Snuck in girls bathroom.

Dead chick offered me her loo.

Won’t go there again.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439064864, Hardcover)

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,319,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible