Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling

73,7366932 (4.16)7 / 804
Member:Vivaa
Title:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (658)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (693)
Love this series ( )
  MinDea | Aug 18, 2016 |
I liked it more on a reread, though it was my least favourite later on. I think it makes sense that it feels a little thin, given that JKR took some stuff out that fit better in HBP. However, I do love the humour in this one. Particularly Percy. Poor old Perce. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
GR: V
GL: 6.7
DRA: 50
Lexile: 940L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 4, 2016 |
I think this is my least favorite of all the Harry books, and I still love it! It's full of little clues and treasures of information that only make sense when you finally get to book 7.

Harry has another adventure. We visit the Burrow, where the Weasley's live and we learn about Polyjuice Potion. Professor Lockhart is hysterical. We also see some foreshadowing for Ron and Hermione's future relationship. We also see Borgin and Burkes, where Harry sees the cursed locket and hides in the vanishing cabinet, both which will figure prominently in later books.

Most importantly, we see the diary, the item we will eventually learn is the first Horcrux. We also learn that while he doesn't realize it yet, Harry is the 7th Horcrux. Dumbledore tells him that Lord Voldemort transferred some of his powers to Harry the night he tried to kill him. This makes so much more sense in book 7.

The climax in the chamber at the end of the story is exciting each time I read the book.

The main drawback for me in The Chamber of Secrets is Dobby. But, since he figures prominently in book 7, I know he's necessary to the story.

Delightful.

The film version of The Chamber of Secrets has a special place in my heart. Before my dad died, we talked about going to see The Chamber of Secrets in the theater. The film was due out in November of 2002. Dad was concered about needing a wheelchair and having oxygen with him, but we talked about it and decided to go to a matinee and had it all planned out. Sadly, he passed away in October of 2002. My husband and I went to see the film when it came out and I'm probably the only person who cried during the opening sequence and all the way home after it was finished.

My dad loved Harry Potter. (In fact, the morning that he died, my sister was reading to him from The Goblet of Fire.)

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

Delightful.

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomic, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.

Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)
Snuck in girls bathroom.

Dead chick offered me her loo.

Won’t go there again.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439064864, Hardcover)

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,385,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible