Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

83,1978082 (4.17)7 / 974
Member:alisonsteel
Title:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (1999), Edition: first american edition, june 1999, Hardcover, 352 pages

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (768)  Spanish (10)  German (7)  Dutch (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (809)
Re-reading alongside French translation (lack of English copy)-Looking especially for treatment of Neville Longbottom vis-a-vis his Grandmother and other kids, re: childhood sypmtoms of PTSD.
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
This rating refers to the art, not the text. It is a relief to get rid of those ugly covers, but I still have some issues with Kay's illustration choices. Of course, the 20th Anniversary covers (on yet another edition) by the otherwise talented Brian Selznick leaves much to be desired. Don't even get me started.

For my thoughts on the text of the book itself - click here.

Harry Potter

Next: 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Illustrated'

Previous: 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Illustrated' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 21, 2019 |
Even as the weakest link in the Harry Potter chain The Chamber of Secrets still works and, my goblet being half-full, it's the shortest!

I said I wouldn't focus on the wizarding-world-makes-no-sense-at-all problems that occur to me whenever I read these books, but Chamber of Secrets is the only Harry Potter where its less the magical thinking and more the actual lack of thought at all from the characters that causes problems. The general silliness and lack of logic that enlivened Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone and the other books gets out of hand, even if Moaning Myrtle and Dobby turn out to be surprisingly important characters. Lockhart, Dumbledore hiring Lockhart, flying/wild cars, giant talking spiders, Malfoy jr. (even in private all he thinks about is Harry Potter? Slash-fiction COMMENCE!), Malfoy sr. being such a clumsy idiot about getting Dumbledore suspended....The main plot of Slytherin's Heir is good but robbed of malice when one thinks of how small the "body count" is and that that number includes a cat. (Heir, psst. you can do better.)

On the other hand the chemistry of Harry, Hermione and Ron only gets better and there is some important foreshadowing: we get to know the Weasleys, the plight of house elves, the Heir reveal....So maybe there isn't a lot of good that comes to mind, but I still like it as a breezy kid's book even if not as part of the Harry Potter series.

Next: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
What an adventure!
Harry, Ron and Hermione are back in this second edition to the Harry Potter series. But this time something evil is lurking within the castle walls. Something that even scares the spiders away! And worse, students are being petrified left and right it seems. Can the trio find out the secret and save their friends? And themselves?
I have to say this is not as good as the first book but it definitely was a good book in and of itself. The adventure is not lacking and neither is the mystery.
The one thing that I kind of disliked in this book was the fact that the solving of the mystery only took part in the very last portion of the book. There was a lot of build-up in this one. By the time you reached the ending the plot had built up so much into the climax that you could not put the book down however. So I guess that works in the reader's favor.
I also have to say on a side note that I dislike Lockhart even more now after having read the book instead of having just seen the film. He is one of the most annoying characters I have ever read LMAO 😂.
All in all it was a great sequel and I'm looking forward to the third installment. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Feb 16, 2019 |
Re-listen August 2017: Listened to this once again before falling a sleep for several nights. I listen to the books on a regular basis. It helps me fall asleep. But I always forget to add them here on goodreads.

But I feel like I must say to you all: If you only know the American audiobook version, you are really missing out. Stephen Fry's voice acting is golden and suits the story so well (and in my opinion much better).

___________________
Ealier reread:

Bed time re-read.
Still love it.
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
"My dear boy, ... do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done those things. No one wants to read about some ugly old Armenian warlock, even if he did save a village
from werewolves. He'd look dreadful on the front cover. No dress sense at all. And the witch who banished the Bandon Banshee had a hairy chin. I mean, come on ..."
"So you've just been taking credit for what a load of other people have done?"
"Harry, Harry," said Lockhart, shaking his head impatiently, "It's not nearly as simple as that. There was work involved. I had to track those people down. Ask them exactly how they managed to do what they did. ^Then I had to put a memory charm on them so they wouldn't remember doing it.^
... No, it's been a lot of work, Harry. It's not all book-signings and publicity photos, you know. You want fame, you have to be prepared for a long hard slog."
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.
AR Level 6.7, 14 pts
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)
Snuck in girls bathroom.

Dead chick offered me her loo.

Won’t go there again.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439064864, Hardcover)

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible