Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (original 1998; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling

70,8536422 (4.15)7 / 707
Title:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Raincoast Books (1999), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:Harry Potter, fiction, fantasy, children's literature

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (607)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (642)
Wonderful series that teaches courage and bravery in order to save the innocent. ( )
  Blaire_Stewart | Nov 16, 2015 |
Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets is a fantasy book in the Harry Potter series. It is the sequel to The Sorcerer's Stone and the second book in the Harry Potter series. The book is about a chamber called the Chamber of Secrets. People at Hogwarts try to find out who is the heir of Slytherin as only the heir of Slytherin can open the chamber. Some people in the school think that Harry is the heir of Slytherin. I like this book because it is a real page-turner. I also like it because it is very descriptive and the author uses a lot of adjectives to describe the chamber and the school. I recommend this book for people who enjoy reading about wizards and witches. ( )
  ArjunR1 | Nov 10, 2015 |
This book was phenomenal. I have had a love for this series since I was a young girl and I am so glad this class has given me the opportunity to return to these stories. In this particular novel I especially enjoyed the descriptive language and the character development throughout the story. The language in the Harry Potter series never ceases to amaze me; the vivd description appeals to not only me but should to all readers. The reader is easily able to imagine in their heads exactly what is happening in the book. For example, on page 302 Rowling writes "But the tunnel was quiet as the grave, and the first unexpected sound they heard was a loud CRUNCH as Ron stepped on what turned out to be a rat's skull." From this quote I get the feeling of exactly what it was like in that tunnel. Another amazing part of this story was the character development. Throughout the entire Harry Potter series, readers are able to watch as their favorite characters change and grow into adults. This book in particular showed so much amazing character development. For example, in the beginning of the story Ginny Weasley is just a dumb, immature, first-year student who doesn't seem to be interesting at all. Throughout the book, Ginny turns into a character that everybody loves. She is kind, humorous, and intelligent. You see Ginny in a battle against evil in this book and it really helps develop her character. The main message in this book was that good can always overcome evil. I loved this story. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Nov 3, 2015 |
I also own and have read the German version, _Harry Potter und der Kammer des Shrekens_. Some of the elements of this book (e.g. the fight with the basilisk serpent) are rather similar to Brian Jacques' _Martin the Warrior_. And just because I'm picky, isn't a traditional basilisk crossed with a rooster? ( )
  BethHatchel | Oct 31, 2015 |
This book is Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets. Basically the whole point of the book is the younger version of Lord Voldemort made a magical diary that can speak to people and manipulate them. In the book he controls Ginny by having her open the Chamber of Secrets. Once opened a creature named the basilisk gets released and roams the school petrifying people and turning them to stone. These people include Hermione, Colin Creevy, Mrs Noris and much more. At the very end he brings Ginny down to the chamber to die and tells Harry to save her. He ends up saving her with the Godric Griffyndor sword from the sorting hat given to him by Dumbledores' phoenix and wins the House cup for Griffyndor for the second year in a row.
Now for my opinion of the book. I thought it was excellent. From the minute I picked up the book I read it non-stop and hung on to every word. It is exciting, scary and sad at some points: I just coudn't put it down. The one thing I liked the most in this book is the story line and the magic. The idea of Tom having a diary is really cool and Ginny, one of my favorite characters, having been repeatedly in the book. I also liked the introduction to Dobby and Gideroy Lockart being a fake because not everyone is truthful. This is my second favorite book(first being the Goblet of Fire) of the series and I recommend it to all ages. ( )
  Paris.Hudson | Oct 28, 2015 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.
Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439064864, Hardcover)

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible