Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Jim Dale (Narrator)

70,5116352 (4.15)7 / 691
Title:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Jim Dale (Narrator)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (1999), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Audiobook

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (600)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (635)
@hp_chamber +hp_sorcers ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
Very good book..the author has amazed me again with the plot, same with the first one !
I see why it's best-selling. Amazing Harry Potter! :) ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
"Some people tend to think this book is the worst in the whole series, but I disagree: I find this one of the best. Why? Well, of course it was incredible to be introduced to Hogwarts in the first book, with all its houses and classes and festive traditions, but a story needs more than that. To be good, a story needs depth and in order to gain depth the writer must come up with enough background either to the characters individually and to the story itself. I am sure this series could have gone down hill with no more than three books had the author not perceived it needed to be matured; young kids who had read and been enchanted by Sorcerer's Stone would get older, so the story had to get a few darker shades in order to keep up with their aging, otherwise audience would decline.

This book provides enough background for a second book, making you feel like reading more. Of course we get to see Harry, Ron and Hermione back together at Hogwarts, but it's not all happiness and welcoming friends anymore. The Chamber of Secrets already at its beginning sends us a clear message: everything is different and there is real danger around. Most of the danger is caused by intangible old magic. After a very clever fashion, Rowling gives hints to what the story would become years later, as we see Harry and his friends discovering some of the dark past of some characters and of Hogwarts itself. Some of the messages seen in the first book are reinforced, like the value of friendship and power of loyalty, but other than that this book is much more complex, dark and mature.

I won't spend much effort trying to explain anything down to details, since pretty much everyone that hasn't been living under a rock knows most of the story. Instead, I will just cover a few points which I really enjoyed and which I didn't like that much while reading The Chamber of Secrets. First of all, despite the new shadowy atmosphere provided by the whole reopening of the Chamber of Secrets situation, Hogwarts felt a lot more real and familiar here than in Sorcerer's Stone. Part of it is due to the fact that, at some point, the fear of being attacked by the mysterious monster that was roaming around was so strong that everyone got closer to each other. There were lots of scenes describing people chatting on the common rooms, having snacks together; it felt cozy and warm, despite the palpable danger. The other aspect that I liked was how difficult the author made every part of the investigation Harry, Ron and Hermione were running in order to find out the truth about the heir of Slytherin. The fact that they had to work for months on the Polyjuice potion only enriched the story; made it more real - in most books about witches they just flick their wands and everything happens.

I've been trying to think about the negative aspects, anything that I don't like about The Chamber of Secrets. The only thing that comes to my mind, though, is the same complaint that would come from Ronald Weasley: spiders. I also suffer from arachnophobia, so those chapters full of spiders were a real pain for me to read without having to check every corner of my room every five seconds. Overall, though, this book is flawless.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

The Last Passage
The Hogwarts Express slowed and finally stopped.
Harry pulled out his quill and a bit of parchment and turned to Ron and Hermione.
“This is called a telephone number,” he told Ron, scribbling it twice, tearing the parchment in two, and handing it to them. “I told your dad how to use a telephone last summer — he’ll know. Call me at the Dursleys’, okay? I can’t stand another two months with only Dudley to talk to. …”
“Your aunt and uncle will be proud, though, won’t they?” said Hermione as they got off the train and joined the crowd thronging toward the enchanted barrier. “When they hear what you did this year?
“Proud?” said Harry. “Are you crazy? All those times I could’ve died, and I didn’t manage it? They’ll be furious. …”
And together they walked back through the gateway to the Muggle world.
" ( )
1 vote AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Just as good the second time around! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Loved this as a read-aloud, but my 6th grade son wouldn't wait for me when we reached the halfway point and finished the novel in one marathon reading session. I had to read the rest alone, but we still were able to discuss. I am now a definite Potter fan, and can't wait for the next one (and I don't have to wait!)

**Spoiler Alert!** The rest is way below:

I made the connection that Voldemort is so much like Hitler (in a crude way). It's ironic that he's interested in annihilating a race to which he himself belongs. He is not a "pure blood", yet the goal of the Chamber of Secrets was to use Hogwarts to turn out an new pure blood race of wizards. And the novel brings light to the idea that genius can be used to reach "horrible, but great" ends. Dumbledore's counsel to Harry at the end (I look forward to having a collection of 7 of these!) in which he explains that it's our choices and not our aptitudes or "blood" that make us who we are was a quote-worthy moment. Simple, true; an adage to ponder. Shockingly to me, these novels provide more than merely escape and entertainment, and it's an experience especially wonderful to share with you child. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.
Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439064864, Hardcover)

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,721,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible