Health At Every Size: The Surprising Truth…

Health At Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight

by Linda Bacon

The book has some good information, backed by research, about it is better to focus on health than on dieting, and provides a lot of good ways to do that. Unfortunately, the author spent way too much of the book complaining about and blaming various industries and government agencies for our misconceptions about food and dieting and health, which turned me off, but the book has some good information in spite of that. ( )
  writerfidora | Oct 26, 2015 |
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
A wonderful book, I wish I had read it years ago. Also wish I had a bunch of copies to give to everyone I love. ( )
  Briarthorn | Sep 22, 2013 |
Despite its subtitle (which screamed "fad diet book" at me, but I may just be paranoid), Health at Every Size is not a diet or weight loss book. Instead, it is a commonsensical guidebook for living healthily in the bodies we have. Bacon proposes that anyone, at any size, can be healthy. Rather than focusing on what we think a scale or mirror is telling us, we should instead focus on eating well and living an active life. As long as our health is good (low cholesterol, blood pressure, and glucose readings, etc) why should size matter?

Accepting yourself as you are today doesn't mean giving up. It means learning to live in the present with the body you have. It means facing and acknowledging reality. (169)

You know best how to take care of yourself. Trust that. Let go of the rules, the judgements, the "expert" advice. Respect your hunger and appetite, and let them guide you to better health and fulfillment. (263)

Exhausted and infuriated as I am by society's constant, casual assumption that thin = healthy, I found Health at Every Size quite refreshing.

(Bacon's advice is supported by 29 pages of references to authoritative sources such as the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, New England Journal of Medicine, and Journal of the American Medical Association). ( )
1 vote lagardner | Jul 14, 2010 |

Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight by Linda Bacon, PhD, presents a well-researched, healthy-living manual that debunks the weight myths and translates the latest science into practical advice to help readers forever end their battle with weight.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,324,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible