Where There's A Witch by Madelyn Alt

Where There's A Witch

by Madelyn Alt

Series: A Bewitching Mystery (5)

A bright spot in my year of new (to me) authors! Fun, lighthearted, and entertaining. ( )
  AmandaB74 | Feb 23, 2016 |
Oh my, Maggie Scaredy-Cat has gone backwards to being a very stoopid Dumb-Bunny again.

The church is planning an expansion...as the ground caves in a buried chamber littered with animal bones and covered with crosses is unearthed.

When Maggie allows the kidlets to make a Ouija board and use it after the opening of the buried chamber the spirit of Elias, attaches itself to Maggie. But of course, she misinterprets all of the messages.

After helping clear out the house, Maggie's sister Mel spreads the gossip about "witches" to Maggie's high school rival (husband owns the local newspaper) and as soon as the news hits the special edition the town begins to turn against Felicity, Maggie & the Enchantments Shoppe.

Tara needs a Major Attitude Adjustment, she is just plain Nasty to the women who have saved her bacon and I find her very irritating, especially since not one of the adults will put her in her place. The Last thing this series needs is a negative snarky adolescent...

The cop who is supposed to be "into" Maggie is dating on the side and is still trying to run Maggie's life.

However...Maggie does finally stand up to her mother.

The story was easy to decipher, for me there was No "Mystery". The clues are very plain and clear as daylight.

I believe this is a mediocre series at best. I believe that with some effort that Madelyn Alt could do so much more with her characters and plots.

I am very disappointed.

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Where There's a Witch is my second bewitching mystery. I'm afraid one of the Ouija messages kept going over my head, but I had an unfair advantage in guessing the killer anyway. The description of what must have been the murder weapon matches an item we have in our home.

I haven't read book four, but it seems that Maggie's self-centered sister, Mel, blabbed about Liss, Marcus, and the N.I.G.H.T.S (the Northeastern Indiana Ghost Hunting and Tracking Society) in the last book. What's worse, Mel did it after they'd done her a great service. The fallout from Mel's loose lips is a major subplot of this book.

Yes, things have been going wrong among the citizens of Stony Mill, Indiana for months now, but I'm more likely to attribute it to the darkness in the hearts of the self-righteous members of the First Evangelical Church of Light creating an opening for evil entities to move in. Sadly, Stony Mill is a conservative small town. Among the persons with false ideas about Wiccans are the mothers of Maggie and young Evie, much to their daughters' distress.

I haven't read books one or two, either, so I don't know for sure what Father Tom, the priest at the Catholic church Maggie has stopped attending, did. From the hints dropped here, he should have ousted from his position. (I remember how our priest thundered that those pedophile priests were EVIL when the scandal first broke. I personally refused to watch televised Masses featuring he-never-deserved-to-be-the-Vicar-of-Christ-after-his-betrayal Benedict XVI. I had no respect for him then and none now.) What a pity that Maggie's mother defends Father Tom. I wish Maggie would tell her outright that she's not going to attend Mass at their church until they get a priest worthy of the office.

As for the Ouija messages, it's high school students Tara and Evie who are using it. Maggie doesn't want to, but they talk her into it. They do get some useful information, though. It might have been more useful if the ghost could spell better.

The finding of a forgotten room turned out not to be what I expected, but still interesting. I'll cut Maggie some slack for not putting some clues together sooner because she's got the anti-witch campaign, nagging mom, and jerk Deputy Fielding problems on her mind.

Pardon my chortle, but a phone conversation Liss has in this book makes me suspect that a possibility from book three will eventually come to pass.
(Same first initial, too, heh heh.)

Cat lovers, the black cat on the cover is no longer a cheat. Minnie is a dear little kitten.

Now that I've read the two books that came my way, I want to read the rest. ( )
  JalenV | Jun 16, 2014 |
Terrible! I was very excited to read the next installment in this series and was utterly disappointed. The main character, Maggie, has made no progress whatsoever. Her boring lack of a love life is excruciating to read about and is completely her own fault! If she would get out of her own way we might be able to add a little steamy romance to this storyline but instead she insists on being loyal to a man who has clearly moved on already. The clues to the story's mystery were literally spelled out for her but she is unable to put two and two together. This lack of vision and her self pitying "I'm just a run of the mill empath" is infuriating and left me screaming at the book when her own life is threatened by the killer and she STILL thinks it was someone else! I truly hope the author can improve these issues when the next book is due because I do not want to give up on a series that held such promise in the past. ( )
  ZabetReading | Mar 31, 2013 |
In this fifth book in the series, Maggie and company are involved in the murder of a woman at the church she attends. But the story is really more about the continuing story of a town that is under siege by spirits. And about how the blame is being shifted to Maggie and her friends at Enchantments. Funny, because these folks are to best hope the town has. Maggie is also learning more about her talents and about herself.

I really like this series. The characters are well defined and I feel that I know them pretty well. The mystery in this one is pretty good but as I said, I find the other story lines more intriguing. The paranormal is not over the top in this series. You really need to read this series in order. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jan 9, 2012 |

Madelyn Altprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Licata, CalebAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roe, MonikaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If our personality survives death,
then it is strictly logical or scientific to assume
that it retains memory, intellect, other faculties,
and knowledge that we acquire on this earth. -- THOMAS EDISON
For Kristy and for Jen...for always being there for me, no matter what.
When a person has spent her entire life in the same small town, she starts to think she knows everything there is to know about it.
[Maggie's thoughts about Liss' attitude toward Maggie's sister, Melanie, outing Liss as a magic user] Well, she might have found it in her heart to forgive Mel, but I wasn't anywhere near that magnanimous. Mostly because I knew Mel for what she really was. I knew what motivated her, and in this case, I knew how shallow that motivation was, because that was the kind of existence my sister led. She was the ultimate small-town trophy wife, and she reveled in the quality of life and the social status that being an up-and-coming lawyer's wife afforded her. For Mel, the universe was all about her. She was the star at its center, and she insisted that everyone else come into alignment with her. The problem with that was, she was constantly competing for status with other trophy wives in her tony subdivision, and that usually spelled trouble... of the gossipy kind. (chapter 9)

Taking a break from her job at Enchantments, Stony Mill's finest mystical antiques shop, Maggie O'Neill visits a carnival, where she senses some bad spirits. And though she's Indiana's newest witch, she's learning fast that bad spirits spell big trouble.
A carnvial has rolled into Stony Mill, and Maggie joins in the revelry but comes across a construction worker arguing intensely with a young woman. Later that day, the woman is found dead, and fingers point to the worker: Ty Bennett.
Ty was part of the construction crew that unexpectedly unearthed a buried cellar - along with something supernatural - during the demolition of a local church. Now it's up to Maggie to uncover the dark spiritual energy leaking into their town before it spoils everyone's fun - and to catch a murderer while she's at it.

"A carnival has rolled into Stony Mill, and Maggie joins in the revelry but comes across a construction worker arguing intensely with a young woman. Later that day, the woman is found dead, and fingers point to the worker: Ty Bennett. Ty was part of the construction crew that unexpectedly unearthed a buried cellar--along with something supernatural--during the demolition of a local church. Now it's up to Maggie to uncover the dark spiritual energy leaking into their town before it spoils everyone's fun--and to catch a murderer while she's at it."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible