Blood From Stone by Laura Anne Gilman

Great (temporary) wrap up to the Retrievers series! Loved the insight into P.B.'s background and the connection with him and Wren. ( )
  oraclejenn | Dec 15, 2015 |
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
It feels like a spoiler, but since Gilman says this at the front of the book, I suppose it isn't: Blood From Stone is the last Retrievers novel, at least for a time. She's moving on to focus on other characters in the Cosa Nostradamus universe. I wasn't happy to read that, but after reading the book, I'm okay with it.Blood From Stone definitely isn't a book to start with if you're new to Gilman's work. The Retrievers series really does need to be read sequentially. If you have read the rest, you know that Gilman has developed a very interesting universe and some very well-developed characters in the series. Book 6 doesn't disappoint at all, and brings the major plot threads to a very satisfactory close. I can't be more specific without real spoilers, though!I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next novel in the universe, which will focus on Bonnie and the PUPIs (Private, Unaffiliated, Paranormal Investigators). I adore CSI, Bones, NCIS and the like, so I'm curious as to how forensics will work in urban fantasy settings. Jes Battis' A Flash of Hex is supposed to be waiting for me at the library, so by the time I get to Hard Magic I'll have something else to compare it to. ( )
  BellaMiaow | May 29, 2012 |
As the New York area Cosa work to reforge bonds and establish new patterns of alliance, and Wren and Sergei struggle to make their relationship work, a new menace looms to threaten the fragile peace. Someone, or some thing is stalking PB.

It's good to see the series going in a new direction, and I'm glad Wren and Sergei are getting another chance! ( )
  SunnySD | Oct 28, 2010 |
Wren Valere is a Retriever. Using her Talent to channel “current”, she performs what an everyday joe would call magic. Usually, she can get in, retrieve what the client has requested, and get out, no strings attached. This retrieval is special. She must obtain the notes of the mad scientist who created one of her best friends–P.B., a “demon” who has saved her life more than once–before those notes are grabbed by people who would enslave him.

There are actually a couple of stories going on here. Early in the book, Wren encounters the familiar scent of her mentor and father-figure, Ebenezer, whom she had previously presumed dead. Don’t get me wrong, I love Gilman, and I enjoyed this book; however, this plot line suffered from too much tell and not enough show. I felt hammered with repetitive ruminations about Neezer and what he meant to Wren. I got it after the first couple shots, really. It seems space was wasted here that would have been better spent in the heads of the bad guys from the primary plot.

That said, this book is still some lovely stuff. I enjoyed the interstitials with Sergei in therapy. Wren and Sergei have long been a favorite fictional couple, and it’s nice to see them working on normal (relatively) relationship stuff. I always favor series with non-magical romances; nothing is forced by fate. No “I knew she was my lifemate the moment I scented her” claptrap.

The main plot, though it needed more bad-guy time, is also a keeper. We find out more about P.B.’s mysterious past, with a hint that there may be a little more Talent science in the future. In addition, a nifty new character, in the form of a curious Federal agent, is introduced.

While I wouldn’t exactly call this book a break, it is a lot less frantic than the last two, and that’s completely welcome. I expect this series is beginning to wind down after six installments, and Gilman is getting ready to hand the baton to Bonnie and the Paranormal Scene Investigations series, which begins next year with Hard Magic. ( )
  frykitty | Jun 8, 2009 |
And maybe that's all we need,
is to meet in the middle of impossibility.
Indigo Girls, "Mystery"
There's only one person this book could be dedicated to: my editor, Mary-Theresa Hussey, who has put up with this entire crew and their writer for six books now, and came back and asked for more....
Why do you think you need it?

"Wren Valere's job is driving her crazy. She's still Manhattan's most sought-after Retriever, but after last year's deadly confrontation with the Silence, all this magic-user wants is a break. With her apartment going co-op and her relationship with the demon P.B. putting stress on her romance with partner Sergei, is Wren finally ready to settle down to a more stable existence? Not likely. Because when you're good, trouble always finds you. Wren's next assignment puts her on the wrong side of a child-snatcher--and a collision course with her past. But to save a friend--and protect her future--Wren must pull off the most important Retrieval of her life...and for once magic isn't on her side."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible