No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at…

No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine (2002)

by Rob Merritt

Columbine by Dave Cullen (profilerSR, JolieLouise)
    profilerSR: A full account of all aspects of the shooting, and debunks some popular myths.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (JolieLouise)

on Friday, July 11, 2008 I wrote about this book:

Finished this 2 days ago. On July 9.
When I started reading this book it felt like I was under a spell or something. Since then I have looked up all kind of info about the shooting, the shooters and the victims.

Downloaded the Columbine Report (11.000) pages.

Very interesting book

10 out of 10 ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
"I saw my best friend from grade school become a mass murderer."

This is the third book on Columbine I've read this month. The first was heavily steeped in religion, the second was fairly clinical and this one was a first-person account. I think it's been the best of the three, it's certainly been the most enjoyable. I don't know exactly what I expected from this one. I had of course read Brooks Brown's name before and I was aware that he personally knew the two boys who perpetrated the shootings. But once I saw the second author's name I guess I thought that Brooks probably had very little to do with the book, that the publishing industry just wanted his name to sell copies. I was very wrong. Brooks' tale and Mr. Merritt's remarks are separated and I have to say that Brooks writes very well. It's an interesting tale, a well-told one and at the end, it left me with a sense of hope. ( )
1 vote VictoriaPL | Apr 26, 2009 |
The last time I stood in this spot, the world as I knew it was about to be shattered.

On April 20, 1999, Dylan Klebod and Eric Harris, two seniors at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, shot to death twelve students and one teacher and wounded many others. It was the worst single act of murder at a school in U.S. history.

Few people knew Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris better than Brooks Brown. Brown and Klebold were best friends in grade school, and years later, at Columbine, Brown was privy to some of Harris and Klebold's darkest fantasies and most troubling revelations. After the shootings, Brown was even accused by the police of having been in on the massacre--simply because he had been friends with the killers.

Now, for the first time, Brown, with journalist Rob Merritt, gets to tell the full version of the story. He describes the warning sings that were missed or ignored, and the evidence that was kept hidden from the public after the murders. He takes on those who say that rock music or video games caused Klebold and Harris to kill their classmates, and explores what else it might have been that pushed these two young men, from supposedly stable families, to harbor such violent and apocalyptic dreams.

Shocking as well as inspirational, No Easy Answers is an authentic wake-up call for all the psychologists, authorities, parents, and law enforcement personnel who have attempted to understand the murders at Columbine High School. As the title suggests, the book offers no easy answers, but instead presents the unvarnished facts about growing up as an alienated teenager in America today. [from the cover]

On April 20, 1999, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, two seniors at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, walked into their school and shot to death twelve students and one teacher, and wounded many others. It was the worst single act of murder at a school in U.S. history. Few people knew Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris better than Brooks Brown. Brown and Klebold were best friends in grade school, and years later, at Columbine, Brown was privy to some of Harris and Klebolds darkest fantasies and most troubling revelations. After the shootings, Brown was even accused by the police of having been in on the massacre simply because he had been friends with the killers. Now, for the first time, Brown, with journalist Rob Merritt, gets to tell his full version of the story. He describes the warning signs that were missed or ignored, and the evidence that was kept hidden from the public after the murders. He takes on those who say that rock music or video games caused Klebold and Harris to kill their classmates and explores what it might have been that pushed these two young men, from supposedly stable families, to harbor such violent and apocalyptic dreams. Shocking as well as inspirational and insightful, No Easy Answers is an authentic wake-up call for all the psychologists, authorities, parents, and law enforcement personnel who have attempted to understand the murders at Columbine High School. As the title suggests, the book offers no easy answers, but instead presents the unvarnished facts about growing up as an alienated teenager in America today. Brooks Brown graduated from Columbine High School in 1999; this is his first book. Most recently, Brooks worked and consulted on Michael Moore's latest documentary called Bowling for Columbine. He lives in Littleton, Colorado. Rob Merritt graduated from the University of Iowa School of Journalism in 1998 and currently works as a newspaper writer in Marshalltown, Iowa. No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine by Brooks Brown and Rob Merritt. In No Easy Answers, Brooks Brown, with co-author Rob Merritt, relates his personal experience of growing up with Dylan Klebold, one of the two Columbine shooters, and attending Columbine High School with Dylan and Eric Harris, the second shooter. This compelling true story answers many questions about the two boys who horrified their community and the world by shooting to death twelve students and one teacher at their high school in Littleton, Colorado in April 1999. In the hope that his story will help prevent future acts of school violence, Brooks Brown pours his heart and soul into the retelling of this tragic event that affected so many.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,669,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible