The Ballad of West Tenth Street by Marjorie…

The Ballad of West Tenth Street

by Marjorie Kernan

Basically a very fine read. It struck me as kind of like The Saturdays and The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, only a couple of years later with drugs, booze and swearing. But it's got that same kind of "cozy" middle class life in the middle of the big city feel.

Two things I found distracting. One was that everyone in New York spoke as if they were from Britain. The other was the time line: the technology seemed to suggest that the book is set in "the modern day" but the character of Sadie's birth year is pegged at 1950, which would make her a little too old particularly in relation to the ages of her children BUT this is just distracting and not fatal. ( )

CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
This is a great debut novel for a new fiction author! It's a book that I wasn't able to put down. Most of the characters are fun to follow through the ups and downs of life in present-day New York City (and beyond); there was only one character I didn't care for. Although I thought the ending was a little abrupt -- it didn't seem to wrap up all the characters and plots -- I highly recommend this book for a good, fun, quick read. I can't wait to see what author Marjorie Kernan comes up with next! ( )
  WolfWatcher | Apr 7, 2011 |
A modern fairy tale set in New York, this novel centers around two row houses which are inhabited by two very different families. Packed with authentic characters, this slice-of-life tale is charming, sweet and wise. Almost a year after I read it, I can still hear her characters in my head as if they were my friends -- high praise, indeed. With a bit of scary reality and several unexpected plot twists, Kernan's first book shines. ( )
  fig2 | Mar 5, 2010 |
To Andre
On Fifth Avenue, in lower Manhattan, at the corner of Eleventh Street stands the First Presbyterian Church, a gloomy edifice made of blackened sandstone.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible