The Internet Galaxy: Reflections on the…

The Internet Galaxy: Reflections on the Internet, Business, and Society (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Manuel Castells

Member:oddmund
Title:The Internet Galaxy: Reflections on the Internet, Business, and Society
Authors:Manuel Castells
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2003), Paperback, 304 pages

The Internet Galaxy: Reflections on the Internet, Business, and Society by Manuel Castells (2001)

Danish (1)  Russian (1)  English (1)  All languages (3)
"If you don't care about the networks, the networks will take care about you." This sentence from the books motivates Castells' work. Internet Galaxy examines various aspects of the network society and should be required reading for anyone living in this new millennium. ( )
  CarloA | Feb 14, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0199255776, Paperback)

Manuel Castells is one of the world's leading thinkers on the new information age, hailed by The Economist as "the first significant philosopher of cyberspace," and by Christian Science Monitor as "a pioneer who has hacked out a logical, well-documented, and coherent picture of early 21st century civilization, even as it rockets forward largely in a blur." Now, in The Internet Galaxy, this brilliantly insightful writer speculates on how the Internet will change our lives.
Castells believes that we are "entering, full speed, the Internet Galaxy, in the midst of informed bewilderment." His aim in this exciting and profound work is to help us to understand how the Internet came into being, and how it is affecting every area of human life--from work, politics, planning and development, media, and privacy, to our social interaction and life in the home. We are at ground zero of the new network society. In this book, its major commentator reveals the Internet's huge capacity to liberate, but also its ability to marginalize and exclude those who do not have access to it. Castells provides no glib solutions, but asks us all to take responsibility for the future of this new information age.
The Internet is becoming the essential communication and information medium in our society, and stands alongside electricity and the printing press as one of the greatest innovations of all time. The Internet Galaxy offers an illuminating look at how this new technology will influence business, the economy, and our daily lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:29 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible