Deverryn taru. 1. Hopeatikari by Katharine…

Deverryn taru. 1. Hopeatikari (original 1986; edition 2001)

by Katharine Kerr, Katariina Kaila

Member:jaarnitaival
Title:Deverryn taru. 1. Hopeatikari
Authors:Katharine Kerr
Other authors:Katariina Kaila
Info:Helsingissä Otava 2001.
Tags:fantasia

Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr (1986)

(4) 01 (4) 1 (6) Book 1 (7) Celtic (35) celtic fantasy (8) Deverry (109) Deverry Cycle (23) dragons (8) elves (11) epic (6) fantasy (468) fantasy fiction (11) fiction (122) high fantasy (10) Katharine Kerr (10) magic (28) novel (10) own (11) owned (6) paperback (14) read (17) reincarnation (31) science fiction (6) series (26) sf (7) sff (22) speculative fiction (4) to-read (28) unread (18)

English (18)  Dutch (2)  All languages (20)
Although I've given this book a rating of three, it really wavers between three and four.
I adore the magic behind the story, the idea of the characters' "wyrds" wildfolk, & dweamor.
The language of the story is charming- after reading the book, I found myself adding the word "truly" to my thoughts every now and again.
I also really like Jill, the main heroine.

On the other hand, I was very annoyed by the other male characters' overshadowing of Jill and her past selves. Nevyn had entirely too much of the narration to himself, which got boring after awhile- his dweamor powers are too great, which takes the fun out of learning about the magical possibilities. He also explained too much, without explaining enough. He gave away the identities of the characters' reincarnations and the consequences of their every action, which I would have liked to puzzle out for myself. He didn't explain how their reincarnations work, and how close they are or aren't to the original characters.
I also thought the jealousy of the men around her came across a bit too strong- I know it's essential to the story, but it tended to lead to a neglecting of Jill and the telling of her story. At first, when it came from Nevyn's POV I thought it was merely a flaw on his part that he zeroed in on her male companions and their issues rather than on her, but as the story went on it seemed to come directly from the writing. I wanted to scream at them to get lost and let Jill (and her past selves) tell her story.
Perhaps I was wrong, but I had a strong sense that Jill was the main heroine, the centre of the story. She is certainly the most interesting/likeable character.

I also had difficulty keeping the names of the people, clans and cities straight. I feel like the division of the kingdom is too complicated. A cheatsheet would have been welcome.

Lastly, I feel like the structure makes everything a bit incoherent. Too much time is spent on one scene or short story, not enough on another. It needs an internal logic to support it- if there is one already it isnt obvious enough. It doesn't have to be a linear logic- even a moral logic, or a character growth logic, some sort of order to help me keep things straight.

In summary, this is a beautiful book, with complex and lovely magic and characters, which I wholeheartedly recommend reading. But I warn you that you will either need to put up with a layer of confusion and frustration underneath it all, or devote yourself to memorising every little name or event, and tackling the book as though it were a research project. It has its flaws, but it is worth pushing through them to get to the beautiful core. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
The first book in the Deverry series starts the epic world Kerr created in which characters are reincarnated and their many lives intertwine. This book focuses on the love square between Prince Galrion, Brangwen, her brother Gerraent and their friend Blaen. The actions and tragedies of their lives carry on over 400 years, even as their souls inhabit new bodies and destinies.

If you enjoy epic fantasy with magic and adventure and strong characters, you'll enjoy this book. I've actually already read the three books towards the end of this series (The Red Wyvern, The Black Raven and The Fire Dragon) which are sort of a stand alone set within the series, so I'm familiar with Kerr's world and some of the characters. I'm excited to start at the beginning though. I love seeing how the characters change (or don't) and interact over the centuries. I really have no major criticisms of this book. The only thing that might trip you up is remembering who reincarnates as who and what their relationships are. But Kerr provides a handy chart in the back of the book - I was able to memorize them pretty easily. I can't wait to read the rest of the series! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Dec 12, 2013 |
A very good read. I was properly caught up in the story and wanted to know what would happen to the characters. A potentially confusing reincarnation plot was handled very well. And the writing is quite good (and blissfully, blissfully free of the most annoying writing tics that so often pop up in genre fiction--like adverbs strewn all over the dialogue tags). Perhaps just a touch drag-y for a bit in the third quarter, but otherwise a solid, enjoyable fantasy novel with an interesting plot and memorable characters. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | Oct 9, 2013 |
I didn't finish this book, so I can't rate it. I got approximately 75% of the way through, and it is actually revulsion for aspects of the plot that caused me to stop.

Books whose major themes are rape and incest bother me.

This is a book in which the major characters are reincarnated over and over, typically as family members, and each time they are reincarnated, rape, murder, and/or incest results, from brother-sister to (ughh) father-daughter. Reincarnation is an interesting idea, but I don't really understand what is being reincarnated here. Clearly it is not memories; if it is souls, how can souls that are capable of these horrific acts ever be "good" or "pure" in other lives?

I really wish I could like and/or finish the book; I am enchanted by the worldbuilding, which is based on Welsh culture and legend. It actually takes place in Annwn, which is sort of the Welsh equivalent to Tir na nOg. The main non-flashback protagonist is a strong and likeable female character. I really, really want to like this book, or at least make it to the end. It just has too much of a depressing ick-factor for me. I can't finish it.
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
Intricate threads of destiny all woven together, tying several people to each other over the course of hundreds of years and multiple reincarnations. There's an aspect of Groundhog Day (you're stuck repeating this until you get it right) that is somehow very satisfying. It's a compelling, easy read, with characters that are three-dimensional and human and believable. The elements of predestination and prophecy add an intriguing layer to the story, keeping you guessing whether and how each person will fulfill their Wyrd. I love how the same souls tend to reveal their essential characters from one lifetime to the next, while still being completely different people. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |

Katharine Kerrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frick, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaila, KatariinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Men see life going from a dark to a darkness. The gods see life as a death...
-The Secret Book of Cadwallon the Druid
For my husband, Howard, who helped me more than ever he can know. Without his support and loving encouragement, I never would have finished this book.
In the hall of light, they reminded her of her destiny.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553565214, Mass Market Paperback)

Even as a young girl,  Jill was a favorite of the magical, mysterious  Wildfolk, who appeared to her from their invisible  realm. Little did she know her extraordinary  friends represented but a glimpse of a forgotten past  and a fateful future. Four hundred years-and many  lifetimes-ago, one selfish young lord caused the  death of two innocent lovers. Then and there he  vowed never to rest until he'd rightened that  wrong-and laid the foundation for the lives of Jill  and all those whom she would hold dear: her  father, the mercenary soldier Cullyn; the exiled  berserker Rhodry Maelwaedd; and the ancient and  powerful herbman Nevyn, all bound in a struggle against  darkness. . . and a quest to fulfill the  destinies determined centuries ago. Here in this newly  revised edition comes the incredible novel that  began one of the best-loved fantasy seers in recent  years--a tale of bold adventure and timeless  love, perilous battle and pure magic. For  long-standing fans of Deverry and those who have yet to  experience this exciting series,  Daggerspell is a rare and special treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:35 -0400)

In a world beyond physical reality, Nevyn, the wandering and mysterious sorcerer who relinquished a maiden's hand in marriage and so forged a terrible bond between three souls, searches for atonement for the tragic wrongs of his youth

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,229,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible