My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers Book 1) by…

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Rachel Vincent

Member:taleofnight
Title:My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers Book 1)
Authors:Rachel Vincent
Info:Harlequin Teen (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, banshees

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

English (113)  German (1)  All languages (114)
WOW! This book was awesome. Why, might you be asking? It had a strong, fast moving plot, dynamic and perfectly depicted characters, and some nice sarcasm and humor (when appropriate). I have to say, once I got into the book, and started to learn more about Kaylee's particular situation, I was socked, I have never read a book with this particular paranormal uh...trying not to spoil anything...situation, maybe. You will have to read it to get it, and I don't want to give it away. This book is awesome, and I am already in love with Nash. 100%. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I have heard a lot of great things about this series ever since it came out, and like a few other books I have read lately this one disappointed me.

This book starts out when Kaylee Cavanaugh meets her love interest. There is no build up. No nothing. It is just BAM here is Nash. Nash is here now. Hold your applause until the end of this book please.

That kind of start just started to sour my expectations.

My Soul to Take felt mediocre. I will continue in the hopes it does get better mainly because I bought the entire series at the same time. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This could easily become a favorite series!! Really great characters and a fantastic premise. Kaylee is a really great character. I love it when the teen in the YA book is not a whiny angsty brat!! Kaylee has just the right amount of attitude, spunky and innocence to make her a truly engaging character. She deals with her problem really well for a teen. Mostly she takes things in stride with the support of her friends. When she finally finds out what is causing her troubles I was not really surprised. But it is an interesting new twist in the paranormal genre.

Nash is kinda dreamy!! I really liked him from the start and loved that he really is a nice guy. So, rare in teen books. Most of the time girls are all about the guy who treats them bad. Nash is a refreshing change! For the jerk angle you meet Tod who is a serious bad boy in the making. I see much trouble there in future books.

I listened to the audiobooks narrated by Amanda Ronconi, one of my absolute favorites!! She does a terrific job with all the voices keeping them distinct and consistent. She has a fun snarky tone that adds to the read. I am also a fan of her swift reads, she instills energy and drama into key moments in the narration. The girl gives good voice!

The overall mystery was really interesting and kept me on my toes much of the time. Some things were predictable but the ending was a surprise.

A great start to a series and loads of places it could go in the future! Can't wait to see what is next!!

grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
The Soul Screamers series is certainly different from the mainstream.

Kaylee has a powerful urge to scream every time she comes across someone who is about to die, it only stops when she either puts some distance between her and them or when that person finally dies. She knows she's not crazy but she covers up the truth by stating that she has panic-attacks. She doesn't know why she has this ability or why the most popular boy in school is now interested in her and frankly neither did I until about half way through the book.

Nash and Kaylee's attraction seemed to be down to their secret shared heritage and teenage hormones and not much else. Nash's sudden personality change when it came to Kaylee was odd considering how he treated numerous other girls so I understood why Kaylee at the end was questioning how long it would take for Nash to get bored and move on.

Kaylee's family keeping her in the dark for so long was not only dangerous but damaging to her. Encouraging her to think that she's crazy instead of revealing who and what she is was cruel.

The revelation of Nash and Tod's connection was unexpected but made sense. The idea of the reapers reminded me of the TV show Dead Like Me but with master lists of those to die instead of just post-it notes!

What I couldn't quite understand was Aunt Val's motivation for doing what she did. How was she going to get what she wanted by making that deal? Maybe I missed that part or maybe she was just deluding herself into thinking that what she wanted was even possible, who knows? We all know that Faustian deals are just wrong, wrong, wrong - they never end well.

I read the prequel My Soul to Lose first and this straight after, I recommend that others read the prequel first too because it highlights the seriousness of Kaylee's situation and her family's reaction to it.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the originality of the story but there did feel like there was something missing, I'm not sure what it was, I can't put my finger on it otherwise I would give this 5 stars.

Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Review coming soon~ ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
Great book. Refreshing new concept in paranormal YA!
added by CyndiGoodgame | editYA Author of Fey Court Series, Cyndi Goodgame (Sep 21, 2012)

Rachel Vincentprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ronconi, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Come on!"

Kaylee has become a "soul screamer"--she knows when someone is going to die and is compelled to scream, as if in warning. But her classmates keep dying!

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,436,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible