Before the Dawn (Home to Heather Creek, Book…

Before the Dawn (Home to Heather Creek, Book 1)

by Carolyne Aarsen

Series: Home to Heather Creek (1)

See full review @ The Indigo Quill: http://theindigoquill.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-home-to-heather-creek-books-1-...

What a sweet little series! First, I think it's interesting to see this new trend of authors collaborating to create books together. Especially in this case, where they've created a single pen name for themselves. It's a great way to connect and work as a community, I'm sure.

Anyway, through the Heather Creek Series we travel through the grueling task of grieving and change. Charlotte is taking custody of her grandchildren after the passing of her daughter. They come to her defiant and not very open to change, but also with the inability to cope well. Charlotte learns quickly that her daughter's passing is not the only thing she is going to need to cope with.

What I found interesting was that we didn't only watch the children grow, but Charlotte grew as well. I liked how human the characters were. Charlotte wasn't sure as to what exactly she was doing, and the children had their own personality quirks that seemed to clash with Charlotte and the new life surrounding them. Through the two books we engross ourselves into the trials and triumphs of this family, and are left curious as to what lies next in their journey.

The only thing I would complain about is that sometimes there's just a little too much detail. But yet, at the same time, I really liked it because it helped the story come to life. There were just times that it made the storyline move too slowly for my taste. Aside from that, I think these ladies did a wonderful job and I hope we will be seeing more from them soon! ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | Nov 7, 2015 |
Before The Dawn is the poignant family drama that follows the Stevenson family as they cope with the loss of their mother/daughter, and the struggle to accept the changes in their family and the rebuilding of their lives.

For the children: Sam (16), Emily (14), and Christopher (9), they struggle with grieving the loss of their mother, and the changes to their lives with the sudden move to their grandparent's farm in Nebraska.

For Charlotte and Bob, they are struggling with the loss of their estranged daughter Denise, and the surprise of becoming guardians to three grandchildren that they had never met. Charlotte still struggles with the pain from the estrangement with Denise when she had run away from home as a teenager, and now the grief of her loss has compounded the pain. Charlotte struggles to find the balance between the responsibilities as a farm wife and suddenly becoming a "mom" to her three grandchildren.

This is an inspirational story about a family that learns to slowly rebuild after the tragic loss of a family member. You can't help but get drawn into this family's lives, the trials and tribulations of forming a new family bond tugs at your heartstrings as they lean on faith, hope and love to see them through.

Before The Dawn is the first book in the Home To Heather Creek series.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the books from the author / publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Litfuse Publicity.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/10/home-to-heather-creek-series-b... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Oct 6, 2013 |
Talk about changing your life. Charlotte Stevenson and her husband Bob received the devastating news that their estranged daughter Denise has been killed in an auto accident. She left behind three children, and in her will has her parents listed as guardians.
So begins the new life on the farm in Nebraska, a real change from San Diego. The children Sam, Emily and Christopher are trying to deal with the death of their Mother, loss of their world as they knew it, and all their friends. Charlotte and Bob are dealing with the death of their daughter, and now becoming parents to three children.
There are some tough and hard times ahead for all, one thing they have to lean on is their faith. When God closes some doors he does open others, and learning to lean on him is sometimes hard.
Dropping from the city to a farm is a big awakening for anyone, now instead of texting on their phones, they are gathering eggs. Come along with this new way of life for this family, I really enjoyed this quick read, and am glad their is another book in this series.

I received this book through Litfuse Publicity Book Tours, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Oct 2, 2013 |
I was easily drawn into this book by it's believable characters and story line. At times I could really feel Charlotte's grief and desperation. This is a great read for anyone who loves family and devotion to the seemingly impossible. ( )
  kaylynvh | Apr 9, 2013 |
When Charlotte's daughter is killed in a car accident, she and her husband bring their three grandchildren to live with them on their Nebraska farm.
  gnbclibrary | Jul 26, 2009 |

Carolyne Aarsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, Kathleenmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kathleen Bauer is a pen name for Carolyne Aarsen.

Charlotte Stevenson's world is turned upside-down by the death of her daughter, Denise, whose three children are now coming to Nebraska to live on Heather Creek Farm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,393,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible