Benny and Penny in the Big No-No! by…

Benny and Penny in the Big No-No!

by Geoffrey Hayes

2044357,485 (3.51)None

As far as the story goes, this book is not my favorite, nor the most engaging for young students. Yet, I think it would work as a mentor text to introduce students to books with dialogue and text bubbles included as a text feature. ( )
  gmorgan14 | Nov 23, 2016 |
This book honestly shocked me because I expected to enjoy reading this book but I was extremely disappionted. The book is about Benny and Penny trying to figure out who moved in next door. The book does show conflict and how it is resolved but I did not think it would be a great read for students. They end up having a friendship but overall the book is not the best read. I think students would not stay interested in the book and end up wanting to move on before they finish reading it. ( )
  Katelyn.Armatys | Nov 2, 2016 |
I wanted to like this one more, as it is a Theodor Seuss Geisel award winner, but the negativity and mean comments kind of ruined it for me. Benny and Penny are playing in their yard, and they realize that Benny's pail is missing. They think that it is in the new neighbor's yard, so they climb over to retrieve it. They get into an altercation with the new neighbor which ends up being peacefully resolved when they realize that the bucket in her yard was indeed her bucket. The comic book format would be appealing to young readers, but the aggression and negativity expressed by Benny and Penny don't make them characters that I would want to highlight with students. There are some funny and clever parts, but I didn't love it as a whole. ( )
  jmillerlits | Jul 17, 2016 |
The illustrations are very cute and looks like a comic book, which is probably appealing to children. I did think the characters had slightly over-the-top attitudes, but there was a lesson to be learned about sharing and sympathy. It is probably appropriate for second graders or so. ( )
  murandapatanda | Mar 14, 2016 |
Panel-style illustrations create a fast-paced, action-packed storyline, with dialogue between the characters telling the story in its entirety. Story feels authentic to childhood experiences; dialogue sounds like the way kids talk. This book would lend itself well to readers' theater, in which kids read/perform different parts aloud.
  cameroneshaw | Jul 15, 2015 |
The drawings are simply lovely, beautiful to get lost in, and softly colored. They have a good sense of both action, capturing just the right moment, and character.

The Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Winner

In this Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Winner Benny and his sister Penny know it’s wrong to sneak into someone else’s backyard but their mysterious new neighbor – or is it a monster? – may be a thief. They go snooping and discover a lot about themselves and…a new friend.

Bestselling children’s artist Geoffrey Hayes enchants early readers with his charming and subtle storytelling. In this lively caper, the artist’s small-scale ice take on a large-scale issues with enormous comics mastery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Two mice meet their new neighbor and discover that she is not as scary as they feared.

Toon Books

An edition of this book was published by Toon Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible