Benny and Penny in the Big No-No! by…

Benny and Penny in the Big No-No!

by Geoffrey Hayes

Geoffrey Hayes's graphic story tells about two mice, Benny and Penny, who try to solve the mystery of their missing pail. The two mice constantly banter with one another and while doing so, find themselves to be doing bad or "no" behaviors, which inevitably get them into more trouble as the story unfolds. While they eventually find their pail, they also come into contact with a neighbor (which is a mole or opposum--- something along those lines) and end up making assumptions about her which also do not work out so well. It is a graphic book, in the format of a comic which moves the story line along and keeps it active and engaging.
The illustrations of Benny and Penny in the Big No-No! are skillfully done and well thought out in format. The comic styled images not only add to the story, but they also point to how significant imagery is in storytelling. This is particularly important for young readers because it shows how language is an overarching concept for how information is conveyed and translated across media. Yes words are a blatant way of telling a story, however with Hayes's illustrations, it makes it so that the pictures themselves take on an equal amount of significance and emphasis in the plot. I think that the comic book inspired pictures make the book more active as a work because they show how powerful and emotive images can be and just how they add to the flow and involvement of a book.
  rebeccarodela | Feb 7, 2014 |
Benny and Penny have a new neighbor and misunderstandings lead to some hurt feelings. In the end, a new friend is made.
  Boockk | Feb 7, 2014 |
We are now scooping up the Toon Books, as we come across them. They usually prick my son's interest and we've found some good ones. We've read quite a few of [a:Geoffrey Hayes'|10658|Geoffrey Hayes|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1351869420p2/10658.jpg] books, and now seem to have covered all of the Benny and Penny books. I have very mixed feelings about them: On one hand I tend to think they're rather cute and I think the comic book format is working well on the "easy reader" level, in any case my beginning reader enjoys them quite a bit and they're often his first pick. On the other hand, there's still something that irks me about them, and now that I've seen all of them I find that it's mostly their antagonistic nature and the gratuitous aggressiveness displayed by the main characters. This may be because this type of dynamics, and in particular the sibling rivalry is still just too foreign to us. But, at the same time the illustrations in the books seem to be tailored for younger kids (not that seven year olds might not be reading these, depending on reading level, but I would much less expect them to pick up Benny and Penny than I would the precocious readers). In [b:The Big No-No!|4831356|Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!|Geoffrey Hayes|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320532742s/4831356.jpg|4896536] it comes down to name calling, such as "cry-baby", "dumb girls", and other terms to depict how absurd it should be for a boy to play with a girl, with which I beg to differ, and even if the story eventually leads to a conflict resolution, I would much rather those ideas simply not be shoved into my little boys head before he even starts school! So, three stars for the format, and one more for readability, but two stars off for the negative attitudes and the stereotyping ... ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Great illustrations and good easy vocab for beginning readers, but I don't understand why girls and boys are always portrayed the way they are in these books. The boy mouse is mean to his sister because she is a girl. The girl mouse is thoughtful and loves flowers. The boy wants to explore, the girl is afraid, etc. etc. It is really disappointing as an advocate of social change. ( )
  winterbower | May 30, 2013 |
Benny and Penny are playing in their backyard and wondering about the new neighbor when Benny notices his pail is missing. They venture into the neighbor's backyard when they spy it, and then accidentally meet the neighbor girl. A small argument ensues, but the kids end up being friends after a misunderstanding is cleared up.
This book would be good for introducing kids to graphic novels, or for enticing the reluctant reader who fears "long books". ( )
  beckytillett | May 7, 2013 |
The drawings are simply lovely, beautiful to get lost in, and softly colored. They have a good sense of both action, capturing just the right moment, and character.

The Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Winner

In this Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Winner Benny and his sister Penny know it’s wrong to sneak into someone else’s backyard but their mysterious new neighbor – or is it a monster? – may be a thief. They go snooping and discover a lot about themselves and…a new friend.

Bestselling children’s artist Geoffrey Hayes enchants early readers with his charming and subtle storytelling. In this lively caper, the artist’s small-scale ice take on a large-scale issues with enormous comics mastery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:19 -0400)

Two mice meet their new neighbor and discover that she is not as scary as they feared.

Toon Books

An edition of this book was published by Toon Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible