Destiny's Road by Larry Niven

Destiny's Road (edition 1998)

by Larry Niven

Member:DavidLErickson
Title:Destiny's Road
Authors:Larry Niven
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:alien world, space ships, quest

Destiny's Road by Larry Niven

Recently added bygurpsgm, wpwhite, Marie_Powell, afrn, private library, GMGee, dwerner, Druidan, Tropical-Library, wyliem
    The Draco Tavern by Larry Niven (sc4s2cg)
    sc4s2cg: In my own humble opinion, these two books are Mr. Niven's best works. Fascinating reads, both of them.

I liked this book and how I was able to follow this one person's whole life. It just didn't go anywhere, well, it did, but I got boggled down in the world. I just couldn't visualize it and that made it hard to read. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
This was an interesting story, but exceedingly slow. I understand Niven's narrative had the uphill battle of creating an entirely new civilization on an alien world and I think he did a great job pulling it all together in the end. Much of the last couple chapters was an infodump where Jemmy finally learns the secrets of the caravans and uses it to free his people from ancient tyranny.

I think this would've worked better for me if the book was 20-25% shorter. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Dec 17, 2012 |
This is one of those SciFi books that is really more of a character study but in a SciFi setting.

Forced by circumstances, Jemmy leaves his home - a colony of Earth people that had been left on a distant planet that built Spiral City. He takes off down a road that had been formed by the landing craft that had originally brought the colonists. No one who has ever travelled down the road has ever returned. Jemmy doesn't have any choice and there begins his journey.

I don't feel this is one of Niven's better novels. There are gaps in the time-line that glared out at me and inconsistances abound.

Towards the end Niven attemps to put in exlanations of why this world works the way it does but it doesn't really jive and I was just thankful to be ending the book by the end. ( )
  Mendoza | Aug 9, 2007 |
One of my favourite Larry Niven novels. He builds civilizations but doesn't forget humanity.

Spiral Town is home to the settlers of the Starcruiser Argos which abandoned them 250 years ago on the planet Destiny. Shortly afterwards their landing craft, The Cavorite, disappeared. It left behind a Road seared into the rock as it departed. Where did it go? No settler who has ever travelled down the Road has returned.

Jeremy Bloocher flees Spiral Town and begins a lifelong journey down the road to find Destiny Town and the truth. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 31, 2006 |

Larry Nivenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carol Russo DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812511069, Mass Market Paperback)

Humanity tried to conquer the stars and failed. Then it was time to try again, on Destiny. But even as the new colony was taking hold, the settlers were in revolt against one another. While some stayed on the new planet with what equipment they could keep, others fled back to the stars. Now the settlements are falling into decay, and the old technology is breaking down. Spiraltown is better off than most, and Jeremy Bloocher is lucky that he will someday head the family farm there. But there is trouble, Jeremy must flee, and neither he nor Destiny will ever be the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:29 -0400)

Like Earth, the space colony of Destiny has its trading caravans, except on Destiny they don't deal in spices but speckles, an ingredient necessary for mental health. The hero is a member of a caravan and as the novel follows his adventures it describes the colony's unusual culture.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible